Vietnam SEAL officer shirt.

Spike

If this were an ordinary Vietnam era SEAL shirt I probably wouldn't be posting it but I think this one is pretty special.

This JJ belonged to Lt(jg) Bob Kerrey, assistant officer in charge of Delta platoon ST-1 1969.

1st SEAL Medal of Honor recipient during the Vietnam war. 1 of 3 SEALs who were awarded the MOH in Vietnam.

Also former Senator of Nebraska.

post-532-0-13913600-1431201386.jpg

Congratulations on obtaining this uniform. As I recall when it was initially on eBay (#311343846109) there was no reserve so I thought the seller wasn't aware of how rare this uniform was. Then when I checked it another time I noticed the reserve so I figured someone had made him a buy it now offer and upon doing some research realized what he had. It went to $785.59 and did not make the reserve so I was waiting for it to be relisted but I guess you got it instead.

Hi,

Nice jacket, the trident insignia was introduced by BuPers Notice 1020, 22 november 1969, so after Ltjg Kelley was injured during his march 1969 heroic action.

Best, croc

Hi Bearmon,

This 1963 All Hands extract will help you understand how works para wings in the USN

post-1289-0-60039500-1431250263.jpg

Best, Croc

IMO there are some small details that make this exactly right for a late 60s (pre trident) UDT/SEAL jacket. Great piece!

Of the things that get posted that are "rare"...this one is incredible! And to a MOH recipient as well. Just superb!!!

vintageproductions

Incredible piece.

Got to see it this weekend at the Pomona shirt and it is even better in person.

It didn't. I got VERY lucky.

I will say I would NEVER, EVER, think of paying what I did for a SEAL or UDT shirt but once I saw the name I knew this was something special. It will be part of any displays that I do in the future.

RustyCanteen

I thought the reserve wasn't met?

Steve,

I'm not sure that it did, but I think it was ended before it sold anyway. I wasn't able to find it as a 'completed' listing (which reinforces that it ended early), but I found it in a web search:

sold!.jpg

vintageproductions

Reserve wasn't met and Mike contacted the seller and bought it afterwards

It went the FULL length of the auction, 9 DAYS! I was second highest bidder.

A couple of days after the auction ended I contacted the seller curious about the reserve. I figured that it went to the highest bidder and was sold so when I get a message that it was still available I was surprised. I've had this happen a couple of times in the past.

We came to an agreement on the price and since the seller was close to me I met him and paid CASH. No shenanigans.

River Patrol

Not saying any shenanigans.....good score! But you were lucky, I bid in the last 15 seconds but my wifi was sketchy and dropped the ball. I'm sure I would have met the reserve.

River Patrol

Glad you got it!

There have been some incredible items on ebay this past year!

Good job Spike. Great jacket. Went to a great home. I could see this jacket could have been passed up by a lot of people (not knowing the history) if it was laying in a pile of uniforms.

Thanks for posting.

Mitch