Underwater Graveyard of WWII Aircraft

gwb123

Many of us have read about crews simply pushing aircraft off the fantail of their carrier as the ship headed home in 1945.

I've always wondered if these would ever be found.

Here's and example of a reported 150 aircraft in the vicinity of the Marshall Islands.

http://imgur.com/gallery/dL6SR

Marshall.jpg

phantomfixer

Very cool pics! My great uncle was a Navy plane captain (crew chief of sorts) in WWII in the Pacific...at the end of the war, with nothing to do and tons of spare parts...on an Island.....the Navy had the guys refurb the planes as a way of passing time etc...flew all out to a carrier for the ride home.......OTW back home they pitched em of the back of a carrier

• 2 weeks later...
the330thbg

Very cool pics! My great uncle was a Navy plane captain (crew chief of sorts) in WWII in the Pacific...at the end of the war, with nothing to do and tons of spare parts...on an Island.....the Navy had the guys refurb the planes as a way of passing time etc...flew all out to a carrier for the ride home.......OTW back home they pitched em of the back of a carrier

yah.., sounds about right

FUBAR

Do you have to log in to see pic's? Won't let me view them

No, I'm not having to log in to either of the links. Perhaps there is something in your security settings on your computer.

If you do a Google Search with the keywords "Marshall Islands WW2 Airplanes" and then select images, you will see many of the same or similar photos.

Apparently the site is quite popular with divers.