What kind of casualty is DIS?

Brig

Looking at a USMC casualty card, it has 'DIS' for type of casualty. No idea what it means, can anyone enlighten me?

Died In Service...if Irecall correctly

Probably anything from an accident,heart attack,injury non battle etc

There you go Doyler comes through again! :)

Not sure its correct but had seen it for Army personnel years ago on a form or letter to the family as the man died from injuries in a vehicle crash in England

Bryan has a list posted for the USMC.

bellasilva

I agree with died in service. I've seen a couple examples of these with follow up information as to how the serviceman died. Most recent was a Vietnam SSgt. who died of a heart attack during a firefight

Well, the man was a Marine, and Brobs' link seems to be the actual codes used by those casualty cards. Man was likely on Guadalcanal, so disease would be quite possible

Well, the man was a Marine, and Brobs' link seems to be the actual codes used by those casualty cards. Man was likely on Guadalcanal, so disease would be quite possible

Agreed lots of malaria there.I knew a pilot who flew off of there named J.J.Powell.He contracted Malaria.Dengue Fever was also a common afliction.

bellasilva

Gotcha..makes sense. Every researchable item I have from a PTO infantry vet eventually leads to them contracting malaria and suffering with it throughout their lives

• 1 year later...

I have been doing some research in the USMC Casualty Card database and found they use casualty codes not in that list. The one I encountered is "SS (CF)" - they also have just plain "SS."

• 2 weeks later...

If You ask Bill the Patch and Me, Died in Service is thee common heading on WWI trough Korea/Vietnam tombstones in the Cemeteries here abouts in Glendale Queens, we spent years exploring them back in the 70s, and would look for soldiers graves, like in the Jewish cemeteries. In the Jewish ones a lot of these from the Great War had porcelain photos of them on these tall narrow Hebrew tombstones, sometimes in civilian clothes, with like you know, derbys or straw hats on, and sometimes in uniform, either with a Campaign hat or Overseas cap on. Now for those who were Killed in Action, it would say Killed in Action. I suspect now that most of the Died in Service ones, died from the Spanish Flu right, there was so many of them in one particular Jewish Cemetery we would go to, outnumbering I think the ones marked Killed in Action.

BILL THE PATCH

Yes Kevin I remember. I still do it. I work for a church which has a cemetery. I still look at all the graves of vets just to read them. Replace flags that have fallen etc, etc.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Gotcha..makes sense. Every researchable item I have from a PTO infantry vet eventually leads to them contracting malaria and suffering with it throughout their lives

I'll second that. I was given a wonderful WWII 41st Div. uniform by a local family, and had Geoff pull his files. They of course burned up, but his medical info survived and it had something like 6 pages of miscellaneous tropical afflictions.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know the meaning of casualty code "SS"?

There are a couple of references to this on the forum and a google search turns up another, but so far nothing as to what it means.

There are a couple of references to this on the forum and a google search turns up another, but so far nothing as to what it means.

Severely or Serious.............something??