Amico

Brig

Here's a reference thread on Amico maker's marks. Feel free to add your own images if they're not already here...

A pair of wings from the collection of "Paul C"

post_182_1215193334.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

AMICO 1942-1945 made Dutch pilot's wing with the added 'W' for 'Waarnemer' (observer) from my collection (click on the thumbnails for larger images). As it is not a standard US issue item some explanation might be in order:

This wing is the model used in the 1930's-1950's and was issued to my great-uncle, who was a pilot-observer in the Dutch-East Indies (colonial) Aircorps from 1938.

When the Japanese invaded the Dutch East-Indies in february 1942 a lot of pilots escaped to Australia just before the capitulation, where they formed the 18th (Dutch) Squadron RAAF and were issued with mostly US equipment, aircraft (B-25's), uniforms and vehicles. Furthermore the US helped to train a number of Dutch-East Indies pilots in Jackson Mississippi during WWII. A number of US makers of badges, including NS Meyers, AMICO, Dondero, and Russel Uniform Supply made both US and Allied badges.

This wing very likely is made by Amico somewhere between 1942 and 1945 for this purpose. My great-uncle was taken prisoner in 1942 and spent the rest of the war in a Japanese POW camp. After his release and recovery he was transferred to the 18th Squadron in late 1945. Around this time the whole squadron with all its personnel and equipment was handed back to the Dutch East-Indies army, and I think he was issued this particular wing around this time. He continued to fly combat missions on the B-25 during the 1945-1949 Indonesian war of Independence. When Indonesia became independent in 1949 all colonial military units went over to the Dutch armed forces, and my great-uncle was transferred to the Royal Netherlands Air Force.

Greetz ;)

David

post-50776-0-65132000-1400211928.jpg

post-50776-0-02108000-1400211949.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Here is another early AMICO on Pilot's wings, probably 1941-42.

Same as above, except bottom is curved.

Not a perfect example as the strike was not even

post-12439-1281639356.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

AMICO 1942-1945 made Dutch pilot's wing with the added 'W' for 'Waarnemer' (observer) from my collection (click on the thumbnails for larger images). As it is not a standard US issue item some explanation might be in order:

This wing is the model used in the 1930's-1950's and was issued to my great-uncle, who was a pilot-observer in the Dutch-East Indies (colonial) Aircorps from 1938.

When the Japanese invaded the Dutch East-Indies in february 1942 a lot of pilots escaped to Australia just before the capitulation, where they formed the 18th (Dutch) Squadron RAAF and were issued with mostly US equipment, aircraft (B-25's), uniforms and vehicles. Furthermore the US helped to train a number of Dutch-East Indies pilots in Jackson Mississippi during WWII. A number of US makers of badges, including NS Meyers, AMICO, Dondero, and Russel Uniform Supply made both US and Allied badges.

This wing very likely is made by Amico somewhere between 1942 and 1945 for this purpose. My great-uncle was taken prisoner in 1942 and spent the rest of the war in a Japanese POW camp. After his release and recovery he was transferred to the 18th Squadron in late 1945. Around this time the whole squadron with all its personnel and equipment was handed back to the Dutch East-Indies army, and I think he was issued this particular wing around this time. He continued to fly combat missions on the B-25 during the 1945-1949 Indonesian war of Independence. When Indonesia became independent in 1949 all colonial military units went over to the Dutch armed forces, and my great-uncle was transferred to the Royal Netherlands Air Force.

Greetz ;)

David

Re-uploaded the original pics to the forum.

post-80-0-92885900-1417475251.jpg