Commercial Vs. Issued Multicam/Scorpion/OCP

automatic

They are just crap uniforms made quickly for issue in theater. They wear out fast, do not hold up to use well, and don't fit very well in the crotch. I have two sets of the Cryes issue and have worn those through three deployments and they are fantastic. Faded but still holding up well. Equally good are the Patagonia Multicams that we get issued. They are well made and wear well. I didnt realize there was a market in the Big army issue Multicams. I must have a dozen sets that I wont ever wear. I will post some of photos of the different types if there is interest. As well as the trousers with the plastic knee pads that were issued out in late 2011 in AFG.

I will post some of photos of the different types if there is interest.

Why not, getting some pics of the variations would be great!

This is the issued Patagonia made combat shirt. You can see the differences; the velcro is commo and the shirt itself is a darker green than the Bagram issued sets.

post-505-0-12624200-1432098986.jpg

post-505-0-18412700-1432099002.jpg

post-505-0-16505700-1432099015.jpg

Patagonia made SOCOM issued Top. The pockets are different and designed to be accessed while wearing body armor.

post-505-0-77726800-1432099119.jpg

post-505-0-37101900-1432099126.jpg

post-505-0-79828300-1432099132.jpg

These were issued at Bagram in 2011. The material is much heavier than the normal issued uniforms and these had the built in knee pads with adjustable velcro straps on the backs of the knees. They only made trousers no tops of this material. They didnt breath well and I wore them once and put them away.

post-505-0-80918900-1432099304.jpg

post-505-0-26654800-1432099321.jpg

post-505-0-43658500-1432099325.jpg

This is a standard issue top from 2011. As you can see the collar is fraying and the material is really rumpled. The zipper broke alot on these. I think the material faded so quickly as it was treated.

post-505-0-46635000-1432099509.jpg

post-505-0-38471600-1432099517.jpg

post-505-0-66711600-1432099522.jpg

Lastly, this is a Crye Precision top and in my opinion still the best maker of Multicams. They designed the original pattern and it beat out the ACUs in testing yet the army went with the ACUs instead.

post-505-0-55013600-1432099653.jpg

post-505-0-52635000-1432099657.jpg

post-505-0-72779100-1432099662.jpg

Longbranch

The location of the velcro tab on the sleeve pockets will depend on when the uniform was produced. Newer ACU/OCP uniforms will have the IR tab on the fold-over nylon webbing, while older jackets will have it sewn onto the exterior of the pocket flap. This change also corresponds with other minor changes, such as more extensive use of buttons for pocket closures (instead of velcro). Also, I believe all of the OCP (aka Multicam) uniforms are of the FR-ACU (flame retardant) variety, as they were made specifically for use within the Afghanistan area of operations.

Most soldiers deploying as part of OEF after 2011 were issued the OCP uniforms, though a few units were still using ACUs at the time.

Thanks for the pics, ODA, they are a great reference for us modern collectors. The cammo velcro is new to me.

The Patagonia multicams are based off the earlier Patagonia Grey colored leveled system. So, we are issued the whole range of Gortex, smoking jackets, etc. in that pattern. If you have any more questions let me know and I will be more than happy to help out. I have to applaud your efforts to catalog the last 14 years of an avalanche of issued gear that has changed every 6-9 months. lol.

Good thread here, fellers. Has anyone else noticed slight differences in the camouflage pattern on the Crye Precision Multicam Army Custom patterns?

PriorityOne

Has anyone else noticed slight differences in the camouflage pattern on the Crye Precision Multicam Army Custom patterns?

I have never noticed a difference, that being said I don't own any of Crye's custom order pieces. I would not expect a difference though, all the material comes from the same place and I don't think they have changed it since scorpion. The only difference I have noticed were the early gen sets of OEF-CP (brown velcro) seem to be brighter more defined colors and the colors don't fade as quick. Also the dye lots and materials make a huge difference, the Crye custom uniforms I don't think are FR which would make them much darker compared to regular issue OCP uniforms.

I have never noticed a difference, that being said I don't own any of Crye's custom order pieces. I would not expect a difference though, all the material comes from the same place and I don't think they have changed it since scorpion. The only difference I have noticed were the early gen sets of OEF-CP (brown velcro) seem to be brighter more defined colors and the colors don't fade as quick. Also the dye lots and materials make a huge difference, the Crye custom uniforms I don't think are FR which would make them much darker compared to regular issue OCP uniforms.

I don't believe the material comes from the same place, just the pattern. The licensee would buy the pattern then have it printed by whomever they want and on whatever material. There are changes from scorpion to the current OCP pattern. The main difference is that scorpion does not have vertical lines that multicam does. The only difference color wise I tend to notice is on the velcro from the 09 to the various other contract years with 09 being the most distinct. After that the colors vary by a few shades for whatever reason. Some of the variance could be, as you pointed out, in the dye lots and maintaining consistency.

• 10 months later...

A couple days ago I was thinking about how I'd never found any multicam in our local thrift stores which generally have a lot of cammies.

Today I found this:

1.jpg

It's faded but no holes.

3.jpg

One of the labels:

2a.jpg

The same racks had a bunch of large ACU's which - based on the large size - I presume came from the same solider.

A couple days ago I was thinking about how I'd never found any multicam in our local thrift stores which generally have a lot of cammies.

I don't check thrift stores much, but I have been noticing a buttload of multicam/scorpion stuff has been showing up in the last year or so in the local military surplus stores. Looks like that first crop of soldiers to be issued it is ETS'ing and getting rid of their stuff!

I don't check thrift stores much, but I have been noticing a buttload of multicam/scorpion stuff has been showing up in the last year or so in the local military surplus stores. Looks like that first crop of soldiers to be issued it is ETS'ing and getting rid of their stuff!

What years did they use it? Am I correct in thinking it was only worn in A-stan?

What years did they use it? Am I correct in thinking it was only worn in A-stan?

I'm not sure of the years... And I think it was originally for Afghanistan, but I've seen pictures of our guys in Iraq wearing it.