1st Allied Airborne MP Ike, VMF(N)-541 / WAC & WAVES photos, etc.

Well, the first couple trips to the the flea market this year were a bust, but as of this week, I can proudly say that the drought is over. Here is a selection of what I managed to pull out of the bins this week, and a few paper finds from last week.

-- 1st Allied Airborne Ike jacket, with MP collar brass and his whistle still in the pocket, and a couple German dictionaries. The ribbons have seen better days, but the pin is rusted onto the jacket, so they've been there awhile. It's named, but no luck yet in finding out which organization he was with in the 1st AAA. If anyone has MP rosters of those Airborne Divisions, please let me know! Embarrassingly, I almost walked right by it, as I only saw the 1st Army patch and thought "I have a few of those already," but I'm glad I stopped to take a closer look. I nearly spit out my coffee when I turned it around and saw the other patch.

-- Nice little ephemera lot to a pioneer in Company A of the 3051st Combat Engineers, who saw action from Operation Torch all the way through the end of the war in Europe. Includes his ID card, final pay book, a pocket copy of his discharge, and a few other pieces, like liberty passes to go visit sights in Holland.

-- A cigar box filled with photos from a Marine in an aviation unit, including shots of the kill board for VMF(N)-541, downed planes, the "Pin Up Hut" (you can guess what kind of pictures covered the sides of the tent in that one), and a bunch of the standard chumming around shots of buddies in their down time. Unfortunately, the seller cherry picked out the photos of nose art painted on the planes and sold them to someone else, but I found a few negatives of those in the lot, so now I can print my own!

-- Various other photos, including a few to a WAC First Sergeant assigned to Airborne Command, a great Navy WAVES wedding portrait, and a few patches, insignia, and rates to round out the day.

I doubt I'll have another day at the flea market quite as good as this one, but I'm going to keep on trying.

post-112103-0-24844800-1431011801.jpg

In memory of Dr. Leo P. Krall, USPHS
USS Uniontown (PF-65)

Interested in uniforms / groupings from Massachusetts and New England veterans

(particularly 26th "Yankee" Division), and original propaganda leaflets from WWI and WWII.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Great finds Jon! That 1st AAA group looks pretty cool! Definitely looking forward to seeing more of that group!

Looking for any WWII 104th "Timberwolf" Division items.

Including items from the 413th, 414th, and 415th Infantry Regiments 104th Recon Troop, 329th Engineer Battalion, 329th Medical Battalion

385th, 386th, 387th, and 929th Field Artillery Battalions 804th Ordnance Company 104th Quartermaster Company 104th Signal Company

555th Anti-Aircraft Battalion, 750th Tank Battalion 692nd Tank Destroyer Battalion 817th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2014.gif

Thanks, fellas. I was pumped to come across it. I don't focus on one branch, generally I just like to pick up local stuff when I come across it and it's reasonably priced. This is my first airborne-related piece in the collection, and I'm twice as glad because I missed another 1st Allied Airborne Ike by about 5 minutes at the same flea market last year (and then saw it pop up on a dealer's website a few weeks later -- it was still an impressive grouping, but out of my price range by then). It's weird how this stuff turns up sometimes.

In memory of Dr. Leo P. Krall, USPHS
USS Uniontown (PF-65)

Interested in uniforms / groupings from Massachusetts and New England veterans

(particularly 26th "Yankee" Division), and original propaganda leaflets from WWI and WWII.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.