Color Footage: 447th BG, 709th BS, "A Bit o' Lace" video

Garandomatic

Garandomatic

Did a little youtube search while grading some papers and starting my morning and found this. It's silent, but a really cool clip. Lots of scenery around their base, some flight footage. I'll have to really watch it when I can pay attention and see what planes are pictured. I have an interest in The Devil's Mate (local KIA), and the Bill Greenwell crew's planes (Ice Cold Katy, The Feather Merchant, and Quittin' Time).

Garandomatic

Excellent shots in it. Man, they really flew close, and this footage shows it. You can see the ball turret gunner aim at the cameraman in one scene.

I know Memphis Belle had issues, but I still love the movie overall, and a lot of the scenes in the movie jive with footage like this.

268th C.A.

That's what I was thinking! Close formation flying, They were very close, its amazing, Today is May 7th. The last day of the war with Germany! (my Birthday) Its sad to think that 90% or more of these young men are now gone, a generation passing...Take time remember them today, For all of us baby boomers. We remember them well. God Bless or Veterans of today and yesterday. Thanks for sharing Grandomatic!

Thanks for the link. A very rare piece of 8th AF history. Not many 8MM amateur color film exists due to very tough restrictions on U.S. GIs to possess cameras and take photos let alone movies. Bobgee