• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

[Tutorial]Resizing image for free & multiplatforms alternatives (great for Editing too)

I stumble upon this area of the forum & found some people still face difficulties resizing or editing image(s).

This is a simple tutorial that uses a free & open source application called Gimp that I've been using for years & you can download it here: http://www.gimp.org (I disabled the link due to forum restriction, just copy & paste it on your browser)

It is multiplatforms (Ms Windows, MacOS & Linux compatible), just choose which one do you need.

To resize an image:

1. Open the image using Gimp
  2. On the menu bar choose Image>Scale Image...
  3. Change the Width or Height into your liking with the chain icon connected (it means that it will be proportionally adjust if only one width/height is changed) or ...
  4. Change both the Width and Height with the chain icon disconnected, the image will be distorted though if the width:height ratio isn't matching the original ratio.
  5. Choose the Interpolation method used in the resizing process to affect the Quality of the result. Cubic is the default one & usually the best, but take longer if you resize a high quality image with huge filesize or Sinc(Lanczos3) which is better method especially if you want to minimize the blurry side effect of resizing.
  6. To save the change, click Scale (it will close the dialog box) & then on the menu bar choose File>Overwrite <filename> to overwrite the original image or choose File>Export As... to save it as another file.
  7. if you are using Export As... & using JPG as the file type, another dialog box will pop up when you click on Export button. In this dialog box you can set the JPG compression level. The Quality value will set how big your file is. The higher the quality the less compression it use, thus the bigger the file size. The lower the quality the more compression it use, thus the smaller the file size.
  8. If you want to know how big is the resulting image is, check the Show preview in image window & it will show you the resulting filesize before the actual export done.
  9. Click Export & it's done :D

Point 5 - 8 differenciate Gimp from any blazing fast multiple image resizer out there (Adobe Photoshop also use similar method).

Multiple image resizer out there is blazing fast because it use no Interpolation method at all, the same with Ms Paint, thus the quality lost.

For compression quality, I usually use 90% and above, but you can try your own to match your prefrences.

I hope it help you to rezise precious images of our precious hobby & i hope this simple tutorial doesn't violate any forum rules ;)

I have found that using the Microsoft picture editor and compressing using the webpage size option works every time. I realize this does not help the Apple users but is fairly simple for the Microsoft user.

donation2014.gif

I have found that using the Microsoft picture editor and compressing using the webpage size option works every time. I realize this does not help the Apple users but is fairly simple for the Microsoft user.

There is no such thing as Microsoft picture editor.

May be you are talking about these:

• Microsoft Photo Editor (this is the editor that comes with MS office 97)
  • Microsoft Picture Manager (this is the editor that comes with MS office 2003)
  • Microsoft Paint

The first 2 are paid applications & is quite expensive. The last one is come with any Ms Windows.

It is most likely that you are talking about the last one.

Unfortunately Ms Paint is the worst of those 3.

If you are not concerning about quality it is better to choose any multiple image resizer freeware application out there because it's faster & can resize many images at once.

Ms Paint is better used for simple editing uncompressed images or any images that use lossless compression such as .GIF (not animated GIF though).

Once you save as JPG, your image will look "ugly"