Trip to Germany, Bastogne area questions

TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter

Headed to Luxembourg, Germany and few other places. I was looking at tours of Bastogne and the only price I could find was $661 for a guided tour? Looks like the other tours don't even list a price, seems a bit expensive for a walk in the woods. Anyway, any other suggestions would be great. I am already planning to spend some time at museums and see my homestead for my last name. Will be staying in Luxembourg City for 2-3 days. Thanks

flashesandovals

Visit the Bastogne Barracks - great historical place with mountains of stuff to see (including WWII vehicles) - free guided tours that take up to 2-3 hours

TreasureHunter

I saw that, guess the tours are to expensive to see Bastogne. Going from Luxembourg to Zurich to Munich to Prague and back to Florida.

rosieres64

A friend of mine in Belgium has a friend that runs the 101 Airborne Museum in Bastogne.

This is their website. www.101airbornemuseumbastogne.com

The Bastogne Barracks is a must see and as stated, free. Also there, they have a great vehicle display of operational tanks, half-tracks, etc. very worth while. You can also stop at the Marsden memorial for free but a museum there was under construction in May '13. I also found E/506 positions on google earth and stopped by and took a walk in the woods.

Be sure to go to the American cemetary in Luxembourg and Gen. Patton.

Did all of this for $0 in fees, just some gas money.

Alan

Persian Gulf Command

If you have the time you must drive up to the Baugnez 44 Historical Center, which is a few miles south of Malmedy, near the site of the massacre: www.baugnez44.be/

The museum is one of the best I have ever visited dealing with WW2 and certainly is located at a historical location. It will be about an hour drive north of Bastogne,

TreasureHunter

Excellent, thanks. Trip is coming together. flight and most hotels already booked. Mid Oct is the start. Looks like the homestead of my last name is between where we are staying and Bastogne so will make for a great day trip.

Jeeper704

If you plan to drive to Luxembourg, don't forget to visit the Diekirch Museum.

Well worth the drive!

Erwin