Gemsco

Brig

No problem, and this kind of research is one of my strongest motivators for continuing to collect. As for the trademark, I was frankly surprised too. At this time I don't think Gemsco was marking much, if any, of their insignia. Looking at post WWI Gemsco naval wings and, what I believe are early Gemsco submarine dolphins, none of them are hallmarked. The fact that they state that they only supply dealers might be a good indication as to why. Maybe the Gemsco wreath graced paperwork and cards that held insignia long before it became a metal hallmark.

One of the most striking things about this is that almost no one on the internet got the actual company name right. It's amazing the history we've lost in such a short amount of time.

Josh

• 2 weeks later...

For additional historic background on GEMSCO, the "American Hatter" issue of May 1922 noted the following: GEMSCO is the successor to Walter Reib at 212 East 12th Street as manufacturers of emblems and military equipment. Sarge Booker posted an earlier catalog from Walter Reib here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36086-1919-walter-rieb-army-chevrons-list-number-11/

• 5 months later...

Here are six different hallmark designs by GEMSCO on parachute badges. My favorite is the upper left with the reverse arch design. I know that there are several more besides these including AGO G2 and G22 that were used by GEMSCO.

post-48217-0-25847800-1422414112.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
philliephanatic

Does anyone know if GEMSCO is still operating? I live near New York City and I wanted to see if they have an archives that could provide information about some patches they made in the 1950s early 1960s.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Here is an uncommon GEMSCO hallmarked basic parachute badge with the additional marking USMC SER 298. This production run was done for the US Marine Corps. Also shown is the GEMSCO hallmark and STERLING. This is a post WWII period badge most likely from the mid- 1950's to early 1960 time frame.

post-48217-0-27929900-1477787850_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

No problem, and this kind of research is one of my strongest motivators for continuing to collect. As for the trademark, I was frankly surprised too. At this time I don't think Gemsco was marking much, if any, of their insignia. Looking at post WWI Gemsco naval wings and, what I believe are early Gemsco submarine dolphins, none of them are hallmarked. The fact that they state that they only supply dealers might be a good indication as to why. Maybe the Gemsco wreath graced paperwork and cards that held insignia long before it became a metal hallmark.

One of the most striking things about this is that almost no one on the internet got the actual company name right. It's amazing the history we've lost in such a short amount of time.

Josh

Here's a WWI era unpierced full size Naval Aviator badge with early Gemsco wreath hallmark...

IMG_04771.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a WWI era unpierced full size Naval Aviator badge with early Gemsco wreath hallmark...

Scarce find! One of my predictions from my quoted post did come true; I've since added an earlier production GEMSCO mini dolphin on the original store card. The card has the wreath logo, but the insignia are unmarked.

From your experience collecting wings, how often do you find these early WWI to early post WWI era Aviator wings with hallmark vs the same pattern lacking the mark? I'd have to guess the vast majority are unmarked?

• 1 month later...
triplecanopy

Submarine Engineering Duty Officer (2nd type), circa 1953; GEMSCO A.G.O. G-2

Does anyone have information on when (What period) GEMSCO used the AGO G2 markings? I have read on this Forum that it was used as far back as the early 1950's. Then there are others that say it first used in 1960 along with other two digit manufacturers codes. Also does anyone positively know what AGO means? Is is Army General Order or Adjutant General's Office or something else? To narrow it down, it does seem plausible that AGO G2 is a post WWII hallmark, but when did it first appear and for how long? Thanks for your input.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Here is something a little bit differen,t about GEMSCO Hallmark : I present you a collapsible bucket from GEMSCO.

According to my researches, this type of bucket / pail was produced at the very beginning of the 20th century, and as GEMSCO is a Military Supplier, I'd say that this bucket was used in WWI (vehicle ?).

Regards,

Vertol

post-13329-0-07695100-1503244233_thumb.jpg

post-13329-0-26462900-1503244245_thumb.jpg

post-13329-0-74351300-1503244265_thumb.jpg

post-13329-0-70554200-1503244277_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just got this in. It is unusual, at least to me. It is a GEMSCO STERLING basic jump wing with the early hallmark and is clutchback. The posts are original (1/4 inch short posts) and the clutches are flat sterling. This may be a WWII or just after WWII example. All the GEMSCO wings with this style marking that I have encountered have been pin back and there are several varieties of pin backs as previously noted.

post-48217-0-36543100-1508778889_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...
triplecanopy

Here is yet another example of GEMSCO's variety of hallmarks. This parachute badge is double stamped and also has the GEMSCO AGO G2 markings. I never got a definitive answer as to what 'AGO G2' might mean except it was used after WWII. Was it for Adjutant General's Office or Adjutant General Order? Anyone?

G2 was for GEMSCO as we know. GEMSCO insignia are most interesting.

post-48217-0-34109700-1535041404_thumb.jpg

post-48217-0-69303400-1535041420.jpg

• 5 months later...

Here's my sterling GEMSCO marked USMC rifle expert award with the A.G.O. G2 mark, this shows that the mark was used at least until 1958/60 when the rifle expert award with the Garands came into being.

The two parts to the award already have the normal 'GEMSCO' and 'sterling' hallmarks, the significance of the third mark 'GEMSCO A.G.O. G2' is still unknown, but I'm thinking that it may be an in-house GEMSCO mark of some kind.

post-105780-0-72208600-1548664910_thumb.jpg

Is it correct that the 'G2' of the IOH system is 1960-1965? The significance of 'A.G.O.' is still unknown, I'm thinking that 'A.G.O.' may be an in-house GEMSCO mark of some kind?

From everything I have been able to find out about GEMSCO, you are correct G2 was their IOH hallmark in the period 1960-1965. After that and until they went out of business GEMSCO used the IOH alpha numeric G22. I have only seen speculation as to what AGO stands for. Since no other manufacturer used AGO then it could well be a designation that only GEMSCO used. It seems to me that the AGO marking is only seen on Post WWII and pre-1960 badges, primarily the 1950's. My comments are from handling quite a few GEMSCO badges and they are one of my favorite manufacturers. If anyone has more definitive information about GEMSCO, please chime in.

Hi,

I picked up another GEMSCO A.G.O. G-2 marked item, this time a USN aviator's wing.... still thinking it's an in house designation... If the G-2 mark was used 1960-1965 how are the first items posted in #23 thread circa 1947 - early 1950's?

post-105780-0-41466900-1549133405.jpg

• 6 months later...
triplecanopy

As evidenced by the photo below, AGO was also used by IRA GREEN NY, so AGO was not unique to GEMSCO. There is still an open question about what the letters A.G.O. meant.

post-48217-0-56682700-1565118619_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Here is yet another example of a variation of the GEMSCO hallmark. This one is on the scarce wings made for the U.S. Marine Corps. It is similar to one shown above except for a different placement of the hallmark and USMC Ser 298. On this example the marks have switched sides. Was this a different order or different time period? As always this maker is most interesting with many different hallmarks and other markings.

post-48217-0-41630000-1571418244_thumb.jpg