WWII Cot?

james127

My father in law came across this cot at an auction today and grabbed it for me on the off chance that it might be from WWII. I've done some looking online to compare, but when it comes right down to it, I know jack squat when it comes to this. There aren't any markings that I could find (although I only gave a quick look), which makes it somewhat questionable to me. Thoughts?

post-158118-0-48108100-1430701636.jpg

post-158118-0-41103400-1430701642.jpg

post-158118-0-88496600-1430701645.jpg

McDermut99

It appears to be a civilian camping cot. From what I have learned US military issue cots never had that color of fabric.

Like I said, I know nothing about them. Here is an auction on eBay that I was comparing it to though: click here. The frame looks almost exactly the same and the structure of the canvas looks the same as well. Just a different color.

oldabewla

The wood should be painted OD green so paint it? you can buy the NOS WWII cot canvas, it's around and is always has a date on it.

I agree it looks civilian. That said, the wood being bare and not painted is fine, as they became painted post war.

Here are some reference pics from one of mine. It's stamped on one of the legs, as well as on the canvas.

post-534-0-81352100-1430704319.jpg

post-534-0-47972700-1430704338.jpg

post-534-0-24155100-1430704355.jpg

Thanks. That's very helpful. Is it likely that the one that I have was made by the same company that produced them for the military or something?

McDermut99

The one on ebay is US 1944 issue, its fabric is a light olive drab with darker edging while yours is white or off-white with no dark edging (Civilian). Also, with WWII era cots the metal hardware painted O.D. and there is a Q.M. stamp on the fabric.

pararaftanr2

For what it's worth, WWII U.S. Navy cots had unpainted frames and white canvas, so yours may not be "civilian".

This photo shows them in use by pilots of VMF-214 on alert near their airstrip.

Regards, Paul

post-9787-0-79815500-1430711702.jpg

pararaftanr2

I forgot to mention that the example I have has the same red-lead paint on the metal parts as yours does. If I recall correctly, there is also a Navy anchor-U.S. proof mark stamped on it somewhere, possibly on one of the straps. Hope this helps.

Paul

Johan Willaert

I have an original Army issue cot with off-white canvas... Cots came with either off-white or tan OD canvas...

Sometimes marked on canvas, sometimes on the frame as shown above, sometimes marked on both...

Also, with WWII era cots the metal hardware painted O.D.

No, not true. The folding cot frames were originally unpainted wood with galvanized steel fittings. Look at the one posted by UPNATM. And as others have stated, they originally had unbleached cotton covers which looked just like the one the OP posted.

No, not true. The folding cot frames were originally unpainted wood with galvanized steel fittings. Look at the one posted by UPNATM. And as others have stated, they originally had unbleached cotton covers which looked just like the one the OP posted.

Interesting. Are you aware of an cots that went out that weren't marked? My big thing is that I don't want to keep it or pass it off as a WWII issue cot if it really isn't. Thanks!

Ok, here's another picture that I found. The guy on this site is saying that it's a M-1938 Medical Cot. Perhaps this is what I have? It's the 5th picture down. Click here.

oldabewla

Any chances that these could be left overs from the CCC Corps? and given to the military to use due to the fact that the military budget before WWII was nil.

Here is what I found about the CCC Corps :

Reserve officers from the U.S. Army were in charge of the camps, but there was no military training. General Douglas MacArthur was placed in charge of the program[13] but stated that the number of Army officers and soldiers assigned to the camps was affecting the readiness of the Regular Army.[14] The Army found numerous benefits. When the draft began in 1940 the policy was to make CCC alumni corporals and sergeants. CCC provided command experience to Organized Reserve Corps officers. The CCC allowed the Regular Army to assess the leadership performance of both Regular and Reserve Officers. The CCC provided lessons the Army used in developing its wartime and mobilization plans for training camps.[15]

Any chances that these could be left overs from the CCC Corps? and given to the military to use due to the fact that the military budget before WWII was nil.

Here is what I found about the CCC Corps :

Reserve officers from the U.S. Army were in charge of the camps, but there was no military training. General Douglas MacArthur was placed in charge of the program[13] but stated that the number of Army officers and soldiers assigned to the camps was affecting the readiness of the Regular Army.[14] The Army found numerous benefits. When the draft began in 1940 the policy was to make CCC alumni corporals and sergeants. CCC provided command experience to Organized Reserve Corps officers. The CCC allowed the Regular Army to assess the leadership performance of both Regular and Reserve Officers. The CCC provided lessons the Army used in developing its wartime and mobilization plans for training camps.[15]

Interesting thought. I guess that it's possible. I actually live next to an old CCC camp. From the reference photos that I've seen, the beds were all metal framed. That's not to say that they wouldn't have used cots in some locations though. I'll have to do some more digging on that.