INFO REQ: How were USMC troops equipped in late 1917?

Haditha07USMCR

Haditha07USMCR

Brian and everyone else,

Your information has been great. I have started purchasing the appropriate field gear now thanks to your advice. Now I am beggining the hunt for French chauchat related MG gear. May have better luck just trying to make my own over finding original items to use.

world war I nerd

Here's another shot of the Hotchkiss MG gauntlets and shoulder pad, as well as the 'Rag Bag' (that's what the French Hotchkiss manual called it) in which the chainmail protective devices were to be carried along with a kilo or half a kilo of rags.

I don't know this for a fact, but It's likely that all of the French MG accessories would have initially been issued to the MG crews of the AEF. Some of the foreign made accessories were ultimately abolished or an improved version was devised and later manufactured and issued to members of the AEF.

post-5143-0-57993600-1431040158.jpg

Haditha07USMCR

Great pictures. I feel like I can find something to atleast replicate the rag bag. Is there a digitized version of the Hotchkiss manual floating around the internet?

world war I nerd

I didn't look for the manual online, so I don't know if it's out there or not. I found the photo and information after doing a Google image search for: Hotchkiss Machine Gun accessories. A French website turned up, whose URL number I didn't copy. It showed many of the guns accessories and quoted the manual. I also came across many sites devoted to weapons with detailed information on the Hotchkiss.

• 3 weeks later...
Haditha07USMCR

To continue the questions, what would be some of the basic field gear items an NCO Marine machinegunner would carry beyond the basic infantrymans issue? Specifically I have thus far acquired: m1912 pistol belt, m1912 1911 holster, m1912 .45 ammunition pouch, canteen and canteen pouch, and first aid pouch. I am hunting down a pair of binos and compass but what else am I missing?

You have to decide if you want to have an early "relatively fresh off the boat" impression, a "been in combat for a while" impression, or an Army of Occupation impression.

If it's the first or last option, go with Forrest Green.

Otherwise, I would go with an army uniform with Marine buttons. EGA on the OS cap,....carry an M-2 gas mask along with your box respirator.....wear a German belt and buckle on your breeches....and fill in the details. You could carry a French canteen as a supplement to your US issue.

This is a more of a campaign/in the field look.....and although it might not be dripping with Marine goodies, it would be very realistic and make an impression of a 2nd Division Marine at the time.