11-1944 dated Superior Magneto compass

bellasilva

bellasilva

Just got this in from a forum member and I thought I'd share it. I had always been after one and just think they're really neat. Supposedly the fakes are rampant on these as they were used by paratroopers in Normandy so the earlier dated ones (5/44 or 6/44) are showing up on different sites. This one has the look and the smell! Yes I smell all my military "stuff" :lol:

post-104906-0-66970500-1430669128.jpg

post-104906-0-52597100-1430669144.jpg

post-104906-0-66895300-1430669158.jpg

oldabewla

The WWII wrist type compasses used by the WWII paratroopers I know of? are liquid filled so it can be shock resistant this is only found on the non marked Engineers types. In most cases they ether have the liquid or don't due to loss of it ? I do find that the Engineers marked types compasses found out and around are not liquid filled?

bellasilva

I referenced this site, which is very informative: http://www.paratrooper.be/articles/paratrooper-wrist-compasses/

It's official designation was "Wrist, compass, liquid filled". According to the website they were liquid filled and manafactured by two different companies, one being Superior Magneto. Mine must have lost the liquid sometime in its long life. It's actually quite noisy without the liquid, as there is a loud "clack clack" while carrying it. Here is a great shot of an 82nd Airborne Sergeant wearing his strapped to his webgear in Holland. Sure wish I had the strap but I'm sure they can be found.

post-104906-0-01148600-1430745880.jpg

bellasilva

Thanks Doyler that definitely was an interesting read. That's one of the things that amazes me about this hobby..there are experts in every single field of military collecting.

The engineer board started investigations of liquid dampening in Dec 41. Both lensatic and wrist compasses were developed, tested, and adopted in the 42-44 period, and it was thought that the compass problem was solved. However, it was discovered that, with temperature changes, an air bubble often developed in the compass capsule which impeded the free movement of the compass needle. In July 1944, Superior Magnetic Corp, solved the liquid dampening problem by applying the induction damping principle. The compass body was made of copper which set up an eddy current and magnetic field as the compass rotated, thus acting as a drag to dampen the needle oscillation. ( I believe these were the first white card lensatic compasses introduced in Aug 44). Samples were immediately procured and tested. As a result the wrist compass was standardized in Apr 45 and lensatic in May 45. The early WW1 type of compasses were filled with a mixture of 33% ethyl alcohol and 67% distilled water. I believe the later compasses were filled with stoddards solvent which is somewhat like napha or kerosene. The first two companies to develop the lensatic and wrist were gurley and Taylor. Prior to D-Day all the wrist compasses I have seen pictured were Taylors. The earliest Superior wrist I have heard of was dated 5-44. The first pictures I've seen in use were during Market Garden for what it's worth.

oldabewla

I wonder if the Gi's remove the liquid when a air bubble was present to fix the free movement problem?

I have had a few that still had liqued in them but one day I needed more room so I stored my compasses on their side in a tub and in between inspection the fluid leaked out. A tough learning point. I doubt the soldiers took the time to remove the fluid but if it was necessary they did. I would expect them to get another compass but they could have been a shortage item. At one time I had well over a hundred compasses, almost all without fluid so I expect over 70 years it either leaked out or slowly evaporated as the seals broke down.