Help with medal.

1936farmall

1936farmall

I picked this medal up today for 20 bucks at a flea market. It's not numbered but looks old. I was wondering if it's real and how old of a strike. One of the oldest I seen at a flea market and Navy so I love it.

9qy92f.jpg

dwxmk6.jpg

Thanks,

Michael

tarbridge

Michael. ..better pictures and and shot showing the thickness of the medal would help...from the images posted...I think it's been put together...

1936farmall

I'll try when I'm back home again. It's thick. Not like a later campaign medal from WW2. Very nice crisp strike.

tarbridge

I'll try when I'm back home again. It's thick. Not like a later campaign medal from WW2. Very nice crisp strike.

The Planchet has the look of artificial aging...

1936farmall

Sorry for the double picture. Hope these help. If it's fake least I didn't pay too much. I'll mark it fake and put it in my display. I didn't have one like this. Don't see them here.

Thanks,

Michael

tarbridge

Sorry for the double picture. Hope these help. If it's fake least I didn't pay too much. I'll mark it fake and put it in my display. I didn't have one like this. Don't see them here.

Thanks,

Michael

Studley made replacement medals...not fake but replace the medals that were no longer available.

bakchos215

George Studley made his medals starting in 1939 to about the late 50s. He sold to veterans and veterans groups. I wouldn't consider them as "fakes" at all. They were made to very well and to exacting specifications. (IMHO better than the government contracts today). There is a collector market for them and at $20 you got a great deal. I've seen them go for $25 to $50.