1944 USN MK28 MOD 0 Binoculars and Case

hirsca

Recent pickup. 1943 contract, serial number says manufactured in 1944. Nothing really special, but in great condition. These are the same type binoculars that I wore while standing topside watches underway as JOOD and OOD. But, I have a few questions about things I don't remember about back then (1968-1970)

First, the case closing strap wraps around the front and is secures on the bottom of the case with a protruding brass stud. The case will not stand up by itself.

Second, there is a small compartment inside the top of the case that contains two (I guess) night vision attachments. I don't ever remember them let alone having used them and I stood many night time watches at sea.

Lastly, the strap for the binoculars is made by Hood Rubber Company. I seem to remember that the straps on ours were leather.

All comments much appreciated. Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-79374400-1430599273.jpg

post-12790-0-93142900-1430599292.jpg

post-12790-0-36439100-1430599352.jpg

Standard pair of WW2 USN binocs.Typical hood rubber case with the rubber strap.The Navy and Marines did have leather cases and straps as well.

The binoculars your remembering may have been Mark 21's and not the Mark 28s you have. These are WW2 Sard Contract Mark 21's that match what you described standing watch with. Leather strap, no stud on the bottom of the case and no IR filters.

post-8802-0-93417300-1430609139.jpg

post-8802-0-90241700-1430609178.jpg

Standard pair of WW2 USN binocs.Typical hood rubber case with the rubber strap.The Navy and Marines did have leather cases and straps as well.

Thanks DannyBMW. Very well could be. Lots of water under the bridge since then.

Thanks doyler. The Hood strap is on the binoculars. The case is marked in two places by B&L. Once on the top of the lid and once on the snap covering the two night vision eye pieces inside of the lid. The case looks like fiber covered with a synthetic outer covering. The strap with the case is leather.

Why the closing stud on the bottom of the case to render it not able to stand upright on its base?

Thanks, Al