US NAVY Trench Art of Japanese Mortar Lamp

RTFREY

post-3702-1217169883.jpg

I was unsure where on the forum to put this so Here it is.

I've had this in my collection for years but I thought I'd share this interesting piece.

Obtained from a USN sailor who found this after the battle of ULITHI.

It is a Japanese 81mm Mortar round, type 100.

The shade is a "handpainted" rendition of the USS HECTOR. The ship the sailor was on.

The height with wooden base is 16 inches.

The overall condition is EXCELLENT.
regards,
Bob Frey

Thats pretty cool Bob.Thanks for posting.Never seems to surprise me with the artistic ability and inventiveness of the men in service.I have seen rifles turned into lamps as well.Very nice.

RON

Thank you all for viewing this and your comments.

To me one of the greatest joys in collecting is sharing with others.

regards,

Bob Frey

Everytime I see one of these, I always wonder what the wife or the significant other thought of having it in her house! I know for a fact that these were often removed from the living room and either moved to the garage, or the vet's private study or reading room. Very few service widows hang onto these things no matter how much their vet loved them!

Everytime I see one of these, I always wonder what the wife or the significant other thought of having it in her house! I know for a fact that these were often removed from the living room and either moved to the garage, or the vet's private study or reading room. Very few service widows hang onto these things no matter how much their vet loved them!

I married someone who loves me showing the collection in the house. I have selected pieces in various rooms and anyone who visits always asks about it, and the history behind the items.

This lamp is a favorite of hers, and I have specific ORDERS not to sell or trade it.

I think I'll keep her too.

regards,

Bob Frey

• 4 months later...

My girlfriend indicated that she'd like a trench art lamp...it's about to be Christmas, so you do the math!:) I've now obtained the lamp, which still works using the original cloth loom wrapped wires (I tested it last night). Is the smart thing to replace the wiring or give it to her with the old wires intact? I've already got all the wire needed to do the work, and have "restored" trench art lamps in the past. Of course, none of the old wiring is UL listed...

Thanks for any input,

Thrasher