Another Strategic Air Command Zippo

I showed a SAC zippo I acquired a couple weeks ago. It was marked with a name and was obviously presented to someone in 1961. I had found the gentleman that it was originally presented to, and contacted him. He was thrilled to see his old lighter again and had been lost many years ago. I felt it had to go back to him and his family, so I sent it back to him. Karma does pay back, and I recently found another, but this one also had specifically "Barksdale AFB" on it as well, and this lighter is dated 1982. Ironically, I was stationed at Barksdale serving in SAC during that time. And to top it off, my oldest son was born on Barksdale AFB in June 1982. So, Karma presented me with a replacement that more specifically applied to my service, as well as my son's birth while serving there. This lighter will go to my oldest son eventually.

post-155295-0-68646800-1430494824.jpg

Lee Ragan

Even tho I no longer smoke, I hope to find a SAC lighter someday for the collection.

You had a really neat story about the two you found and getting the fist one back to the original owner.

Thanks for sharing.

Lee, where and when did you serve with SAC? I was an Aircraft Electrician, and got to be pretty intimate with the B52G, and KC135 for the 4 years I was at Barksdale. I left SAC and got to play with the F16 while in the 50th TFW in Germany, but my heart was, and has always stayed with SAC.

bellasilva

Very cool and good on you for sending it to the vet. I've recently gotten heavily into vintage military Zippos and picked one up with a great USS Pittsburgh inscription from the early 50s. I put in a new wick and flint and it works like a charm. Thanks for showing