On EBAY U.S.S. Snook Battle Flag REAL OR WHAT ?

manayunkman

tarbridge

I would pass as a WWII piece...Late reunion...

How is the USS Snook applied

Edited,because it's not the same flag I thought,sorry!!

tarbridge

Iooking closer...I do like the material it's sewn to as a one sided presentation flag...it's been a while since I have owned one and do not remember about the zig zag stiching...

So on second thoughts it could be a Captain's presentation flag...

manayunkman

Looks like it sold for 1000.00 which seams like a low price for a real one.

I know it sold at the estate for 26.00.

I don't ever find a sale like that. :(

• 5 years later...
On 4/30/2015 at 9:39 PM, tarbridge said:

Iooking closer...I do like the material it's sewn to as a one sided presentation flag...it's been a while since I have owned one and do not remember about the zig zag stiching...

So on second thoughts it could be a Captain's presentation flag...

Hi Tarbridge,

Bumping this old post to ask on the idea of a captain’s presentation flag.  What is that?  Something the captain had made for distribution to the crew?

Thanks Josh

2 hours ago, Josh B. said:

Hi Tarbridge,

Bumping this old post to ask on the idea of a captain’s presentation flag.  What is that?  Something the captain had made for distribution to the crew?

Thanks Josh

Josh,

Probably a post WWII reunion presentation or display for a reunion. It was made to present being only one sided, it does not follow the pattern of the recent fakes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 11:19 AM, tarbridge said:

Josh,

Probably a post WWII reunion presentation or display for a reunion. It was made to present being only one sided, it does not follow the pattern of the recent fakes.

Thank you!  For what it's worth, the USS Snook was lost with all hands, and the original flags for the boat were huge from surviving photos.  The question is, when would this flag have been designed, made, and by whom?  The one shown seems highly similar to the one on file with the US Navy History and Heritage command, which was photographed sometime during the 70's.  https://www.facebook.com/USNHistory/photos/uss-snook-ss-279-world-war-ii-battle-flag-this-flag-from-the-collections-of-eith/10150631118153344/

It also shows the same features as the one in the USS Bowfin Museum.  My guess is that several of these were made up at the end of the war for surviving USS Snook veterans (who obviously rotated off do different boats before it was lost) to honor the fallen.  They are extremely well made, zigzag stitched in wool, and apparently date to sometime before the 70s.

Best,

Josh