Possibly Disney WWII Pilot Instructor Patch?

randommilitariacollector

randommilitariacollector

I'm really not sure about this patch. From what I have found I am assuming that it could be a WWII pilot instructor patch made by Disney. This is just a guess based on what I was able to find online by looking at similar patches. I have not been able to find another patch like this one and am hopeful someone can tell me a little more about this patch.

post-158171-0-81522500-1430423853.jpg

post-158171-0-91348500-1430423865.jpg

randommilitariacollector

Patchcollector that is also a nice patch that I have not seen before. F-111A thank you for the information. I had spent quite a bit of time searching on the internet for this patch. With your information I found another one like it online. It did not indicate what era this patch was. I believe I saw where the 438th was in operation from WWII until Vietnam era. Does anyone know when this patch was made and does anyone have an idea of what this patch is worth?

This is the mid 1950s era one. The original WW 2 design used a machine gun, later replaced by the missile in the 50s. The base at the time was known as Kinross AFB. It was renamed Kincheloe AFB in 1959 in honor of Korean war ace Iven Kincheloe who died in a plane crash. I lived there from 62-65, never saw so much snow! The 309 TFS has no relation to the 438 FIS at all.

Randy

Johnny Signor

Randy , do you have a image of the WW2 era 438th Fighter Squadron with the machine gun ????

Randy , do you have a image of the WW2 era 438th Fighter Squadron with the machine gun ????

I don't, but it's in Maurer Maurer with the machine gun as the original approved design. Approved in Feb 1944. I also have 2 different FIS versions plus the one shown above. All have the missile in place of the gun. Many WW 2 patches were modified or completely discarded for another design to make them more "modern" looking.

Randy

Here's another, this one is late 50s. Notice loss of detail and the fact Donald is flying the wrong way. This was followed by the one Jeffro posted above.

Randy

post-8832-0-27816600-1430521916.jpg

randommilitariacollector

Jeffro, thank you for sharing the pics. Randy, thank you for the information and also for you service. Randy, do you have an idea of what these patches typically sell for? I'm just curious because they don't seem to be very common and I just wondered what these patches usually sell for. Thanks again to everyone for all of the information shared.

Disney did not make patches. They created the designs, letters of release, and it was up to the unit to have the patches made.

Jeffro, thank you for sharing the pics. Randy, thank you for the information and also for you service. Randy, do you have an idea of what these patches typically sell for? I'm just curious because they don't seem to be very common and I just wondered what these patches usually sell for. Thanks again to everyone for all of the information shared.

No problem! As far as price, that's always subjective to many factors. But, the last one I saw sold went for north of $200. You have the most desirable one of the variations. Felt normally doesn't hold up well and yours looks great. I would hold out for something good on that one.

Randy

randommilitariacollector

Randy, thanks. I have seen patches online with Disney characters on them priced for several hundred dollars, but haven't seen any of them actually sell. It is good to have an idea of what the patch is actually worth. Again, thank you for all of the information and for taking the time to share. It is much appreciated!