Major Lyman S Frasier WWI DSC/SS/PH and more...

tarbridge

Here is Major Frasier's medal group...he was a Brave man who made his presence known on those far away battlefields.He was wounded Cantigny and in the Argonne.Frasiers' Military career was cut short by a post war injury. A graduate of Williams College, an engraved Williams College table medal is included in the group.This is a First Division Silver Star that is not one of the G.O.blanket awards.He was a Civil Air Patrol Pilot in WWII.

Major Frasier and his awards...

rps20150430_145635.jpg
rps20150430_110033.jpg
rps20150430_115635.jpg
rps20150430_115749.jpg

Nothing more to say than WOW!

I think that is the most complete WWI valor group I have seen in a long time!

He was obviously an exceptional leader to have risen from LT to MAJ during his service with the 1st Div.

Gary B

Bill_Carman

Robert,

The Frasier group is superb, ... and it is always nice to see a Purple Heart with the large oak leaf cluster. Thanks for sharing.

Javelin4life

When a group like this shows up, you can't really think of the best word to use to describe it. Simply amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Alex

Here is how he appears in my DSC Database:

FRASIER, Lyman Sheridan (WIA)

Major (Infantry) - WW I

Unit: 26th Infantry Regiment, First Division (Regular Army)

Date and Place: October 7, 1918; near Verdun, France

Medal Number: 986

Source: War Department General Orders No. 78 (June 16, 1919)

Other Awards:

- First Division Silver Citation Star for gallantry during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive

- Silver Star Medal #5841(based on his Silver Citation Star)

- Purple Heart (Medal Nr. #40543) (two awards for Cantigny and the Argonne)

- French Croix de Guerre with palm, under Order No. 14.141 “D” French Armies of the East, dated March 9, 1919 based on his heorism from October 1-12, 1918.

Burial: Arlington National Cemetery

Note: He was born on August 31, 1892 in (and entered the Army from) Amsterdam, New York. He died on October 31, 1952.

Here is how he appears in my DSC Database:

FRASIER, Lyman Sheridan (WIA)

Major (Infantry) - WW I

Unit: 26th Infantry Regiment, First Division (Regular Army)

Date and Place: October 7, 1918; near Verdun, France

Medal Number: 986

Source: War Department General Orders No. 78 (June 16, 1919)

Other Awards:

- First Division Silver Citation Star for gallantry during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive

- Silver Star Medal #5841(based on his Silver Citation Star)

- Purple Heart (Medal Nr. #40543) (two awards for Cantigny and the Argonne)

- French Croix de Guerre with palm, under Order No. 14.141 D French Armies of the East, dated March 9, 1919 based on his heorism from October 1-12, 1918.

Burial: Arlington National Cemetery

Note: He was born on August 31, 1892 in (and entered the Army from) Amsterdam, New York. He died on October 31, 1952.

Yes.Thanks...The Silver Star is G.O.89...

trenchbuff

Boy, is that a nice group. When I see fantastic groups like this I always wonder where the uniform, helmet and other personal items ended up. Seems like over the years large groups went in separate directions with the medals going in one collection and the uniforms into another. So, just curious about this one.

tarbridge

That is most always a unanswerable question. ..I can say this...Helmet collectors collect Helmets...Uniform collectors collect Uniforms. ..Medal collectors collect Medals...Patche collectors collect Patches...Few collect it all...For the Good of it...For the Bad of it...

Boy, is that a nice group. When I see fantastic groups like this I always wonder where the uniform, helmet and other personal items ended up. Seems like over the years large groups went in separate directions with the medals going in one collection and the uniforms into another. So, just curious about this one.

There might have been more at one point, but this is the proverbial "cigar box" group. Of the 121 families and vets I visited for my book, I saw exactly three uniforms - and all of those families/vets were from WW2...the generation most likely to keep everything. It seems that when something had to go...to make room in the attic or perhaps clear a closet for a child...the uniforms were the first thing to go.

Kurt Barickman

Clothing went to moths as well and have met many veterans and their families who didn't value the uniform that much. Also many veterans wore their uniforms out after the war; especially field wear uniforms and captured German camouflage. I can't tell you how many times I have ran into that scenario when I have been out "beating the bushes" for goods.

Kurt

trenchbuff

I suppose that's been my experience as well. Rarely do I find intact groups, even from families, and when I do they're most likely from WW2 with just a few from WW1. Robert, I certainly understand that medal guys collect medals and helmet guys collect helmets. I personally have no problem with that since it allows history and vets to be remembered in several collections instead of just one. When you think about it, what are the odds that everything will stay preserved and intact over a period of 70, 100 or even 150 years? Remote I would think. I also know a number of veterans who have been buried in their uniforms, and some with their medals.

KASTAUFFER

Once of the nicest WWI DSC groups I think I have seen that didn't include original paperwork.

Kurt

Robert, a very, very nice named group. Top class.

Nice early American Emblem PH with correct ribbon and thumbnail olc.

Thanks for showing,

regards

Herman