Replacing R-14 plug

nreed_94

Hey everyone, I have a set of R-14 receivers with a cracked PL-54 plug. I've seen a ton of places online selling the individual plugs, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the old plug off. Does anyone have experience replacing these plugs? Maybe there is some trick I'm not picking up on.

phantomfixer

The Pl-54 should be constructed the same as this plug...unscrew black plastic cover, uncrimp the harness crimp on rear of plug, remove two harness/connector screws...sometimes these small screws can be tough to remove... be sure the correct size screwdriver is used...

post-155518-0-38592700-1430404275.jpg

One more tip: When putting the screws back in, stick a toothpick in the small hole in the middle of the screw and use it to get the screw started before switching to a screwdriver to tighten the screw.

phantomfixer

One more tip: When putting the screws back in, stick a toothpick in the small hole in the middle of the screw and use it to get the screw started before switching to a screwdriver to tighten the screw.

that is a great tip....much better than tweezers!!!

littlebuddy

beat me to it !!! :)

There was a special screwdriver with a spring loaded pin the projected through the blade to hold the screw when installing it. Unfortunately I don't remember the number to the tool.

There was a special screwdriver with a spring loaded pin the projected through the blade to hold the screw when installing it. Unfortunately I don't remember the number to the tool.

I'll bet that a thousand toothpicks are still cheaper than that screwdriver!