help is this ghostbuster of 5th infantry division ww2?

CjVl

no I think it's the one that looks like two diamonds I am blanking on the division at the moment...

96th Infantry Division

post-114538-0-32268200-1430230429.gif

no I think it's the one that looks like two diamonds I am blanking on the division at the moment...

96th Infantry Division

attachicon.gif96IDINS.GIF

Except that the 96th Division is oriented just as the pic you linked to shows: horizontal. The OP's pic shows the diamond shape being worn vertically on the sleeve, like the 5th Division.

RustyCanteen

I agree; doesn't look like the 5th ID. I've seen a lot of poorly applied patches on uniforms, but if someone went to the effort of stitching the two points so carefully, I seriously doubt they would ignore the other two.

BILL THE PATCH

Without seeing the sleeve and exactly how the patch was sewn on it, its hard to tell. Can we get more pics, any ribbons on it?

BILL THE PATCH

And as I'm thinking, I've had plenty of Ike's where the ruptured duck is sewn , but not all the way always a little spot was left unsewn. I know this is a sleeve, just thought I mention it

probably a faker didn't know the correct way to stitch the 96th patch on the sleeve of a blank ike.

then was removed later when someone realized it was wrong.

also.. B229 not sure how you can tell which way any sleeve is oriented in that pic.. I thought we were looking at it the way it was applied, with the sleeve folded under?

-Brian

probably a faker didn't know the correct way to stitch the 96th patch on the sleeve of a blank ike.

also.. B229 not sure how you can tell which way any sleeve is oriented in that pic.. I thought we were looking at it the way it was applied, with the sleeve folded under?

-Brian

Thank you then i Let it pass . Seller said it is a barn find hè have more stuff for sale I Just keep on looking then thank you all for the help and info

RustyCanteen

-Brian

Even if it were oriented wrong it doesn't mean it was a faker who put it there; there are lots of examples of soldiers with insignia malfunctions out there that are perfectly legitimate. That said, with no insignia this one doesn't particularly stand out if the OP is looking for one with SSI on it.

(Not B229, but as for the orientation, look closely at the top of the photo in the first post; you can see a pocket flap.)

RC

Even if it were oriented wrong it doesn't mean it was a faker who put it there; there are lots of examples of soldiers with insignia malfunctions out there that are perfectly legitimate. That said, with no insignia this one doesn't particularly stand out if the OP is looking for one with SSI on it.

(Not B229, but as for the orientation, look closely at the top of the photo in the first post; you can see a pocket flap.)

RC

RC,

thanks.. I see it now!

true. I didn't mean it exactly like that but it sure looks like a 96th outline to me.

-Brian

Guys, it's French! The patch was a French army or Foreign Legion lozenge rank patch. The flat sides are from having a stripe or two on top. The location on the lower arm is a dead giveaway. The illustration is French Navy, but it gives you an idea what was there.....

-Ski

post-3043-0-90252900-1430332554.jpg

RustyCanteen

Guys, it's French! The patch was a French army or Foreign Legion lozenge rank patch. The flat sides are from having a stripe or two on top. The location on the lower arm is a dead giveaway. The illustration is French Navy, but it gives you an idea what was there.....

-Ski

That makes perfect sense given the European location.

RC

-Ski

That was a good call.

The US supplied the French Army with just about everything post surrender, so it is not surprising the ghost is on what looks like an Ike.