WWII CBI/AAF Service Pilots Uniform Grouping

CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

I posted this in another topic, but figured I would give it it's own thread. I purchased this from the veteran's son over the summer. It belonged to Flight Officer Aubrey Douglas Laurence. He served in the CBI for a year, and then came back to the states and became a flight instructor. Inside the pocket was an American Campaign ribbon, and 2 additional patches. Imagine my surprise when I pulled them out! His son has more items to him, but never answers to my messages, and when I dealt with him initially (via ebay and over the phone) he could care less about his fathers service or where his items went to.

Anyways, its a beautiful lot.

k98bayo1_164.jpg

stuff_386.jpg

stuff_387.jpg

WOW !! that is an awesome grouping, Justin

Thanks for sharing

Charlie

Seeking anything attributed to General Clifford Bluemel

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Great grouping there!

I have one question: what are the discs on the epaulets? I've seen them before on several uniforms.

Thank you,

Billy

Great grouping there!

I have one question: what are the discs on the epaulets? I've seen them before on several uniforms.

Thank you,

Billy

Hi Billy,

The disc are A.T.C. - U.S. Air Transport Command.

atc.jpg

The Air Transport Command developed routes from the United States to every theater of the war. These routes went from the East Coast to England by way of Canada, from the West Coast to Australia by way of Hawaii and the South Pacific Islands, from Miami and other East Coast bases to North Africa, across Canada to Alaska and into the Aleutians and south into Central and South America. The longest of the ATC routes, was the route to China and the CBI theater. The route to China went south out of Miami to Natal, Brazil, then across the Atlantic to Africa and on across the Middle East to finally arrive in India, which was the rear area for the CBI.

More informations in:

http://comcar.org/Air%20Transport%20Comman..._background.htm

Best regards,

Ricardo.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Justin,

Great save! I have done this several times myself, in fact the majority of the groups on my site (www.conradwings.com) were acquired like this. I am always amazed now hard it can be to get information out of family members. They don't care or just don't know.

Sometimes though, you can make a great connection, I have a few groups that, every once and a while, something just turns up in the mail with a note like " Just found this, thought you would like it".

Also, I LOVE it when you find stuff in the pockets. I once picked up a plain 4 pocket in a thrift store when I was a teenager, the thing hung in a closet forgotten, at my parents house for a least 20 plus years. I finally took in to my house, on a whim I decided to check the pockets, I found a Brit made stubby 8th, his stripes Felt AAF patch and a 2 place Brit make ribbon bar with Air medal w/4 Oak leafs and ETO w/5stars! ( no name on the thing anywhere) and OS service stripes. No wings darn it!

Also picked up an unnamed Service Pilot from a antique dealer, checked the pockets and found 2 pages of transfer orders with a nice little check mark next to his name , and the serial number matched the partial one in the Jacket.

Paul

Paul Conrad
Still looking for quality wings!

www.conradwings.com

2007 spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
spacer.pngspacer.png2017 spacer.pngspacer.png

I am bored prefixing everything I say with "I think" or "in my opinion".
Everything I say is my opinion; the only thing of which I am certain is that there is very little of which one can be certain.

CNY Militaria

Thanks everyone! In fact, I didn't mention this, but the initial listing for this item stated that he would revmove all insignia, throw itaway and send the jacket. Apparently, he received 3 emails in 5 minutes telling him to rethink that route!

Also, Paul, the grouping you are talking about... would that be FO Omer C. Horton?

(I have his Khaki Ike jacket with bullion insignia).

Justin

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone! In fact, I didn't mention this, but the initial listing for this item stated that he would revmove all insignia, throw itaway and send the jacket. Apparently, he received 3 emails in 5 minutes telling him to rethink that route!

Also, Paul, the grouping you are talking about... would that be FO Omer C. Horton?

(I have his Khaki Ike jacket with bullion insignia).

Justin

DOH! That was you :D I sent your info to the buyer, bty... !!

Paul Conrad
Still looking for quality wings!

www.conradwings.com

2007 spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
spacer.pngspacer.png2017 spacer.pngspacer.png

I am bored prefixing everything I say with "I think" or "in my opinion".
Everything I say is my opinion; the only thing of which I am certain is that there is very little of which one can be certain.

• 3 years later...

I have plenty of Army Air Corp Officer Uniforms but NO Warrant Officer. Very nice grouping on a hard to find, named, grouping.

I have plenty of Army Air Corp Officer Uniforms but NO Warrant Officer. Very nice grouping on a hard to find, named, grouping.

The Blue/Gold bars are for Flight Officer.Warrant were Brown/Gold in WW2.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
doinworkinvans

Holy cow - Another one I missed!!!! :love:

Actively collecting:

13th USAAF uniforms and groups/medal groups!

307th BG, 5th BG, 11th BG, 42nd BG

Also looking for:

WWII Far East Air Force uniforms/groups!

Any Pacific Army Air Force Groups to 5th, 7th, 10th, 14th, 20th AAF

Collecting CBI and ATC Pacific Army Air Force groups

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

USMF's custom photo resize tool:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/