Autopsy of a Battle, about 517th, 509th, 551st and FSSF in southern France

Jean-Loup

I was scanning through the forum a couple of months ago, and saw an interesting thread about a WWII helmet belonging to Marvin Moles, I Company, 517th PIR, who was a paratrooper who dropped into Southern France during Operation Dragoon in August, 1944.  This thread was fascinating, because it went into the history of how the helmet was lost by Pvt. Moles, found shortly after the invasion, and eventually came to be owned by one of our forum members, Jean-Loup Gassend.  The thread covers how Jean-Loup eventually tracked down Marvin Moles several years ago, and reunited the helmet with him during during a visit to France.  I highly recommend that if you haven’t read this thread on the Helmet sub-forum, then you need to check it out, because it may be the most interesting thread I’ve read on this forum.

Well, as I read the thread about Mr. Moles’ helmet, I realized that Jean-Loup who started the thread, had also written a book about Operation Dragoon, the invasion of Southern France in August 1944, called “Autopsy of A Battle”.   I’ve read most of the classic books about WWII, probably the same books most of you have read, and I’m always on the lookout for something new.  So, I ordered Jean-Loup’s book, and I was throughly impressed.  If you haven’t read this book, I highly recommend that you do.  The book is amazing.  I cannot think of another book I’ve read about WWII, that is as well researched, in terms of the level of detail it goes into about first-hand accounts from members of the French Resistance, German, and U.S. forces, and the small unit engagements, that are so interesting to read about.  This book is a great example of the vast knowledge possessed by members who participate on this forum.   Great book!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...