4th Marines POW

TLeo

With the anniversary of the fall of Bataan coming up on 6 May, I thought I would bring this back up. I picked up this uniform belonging to a Marine who had been with the 4th Marines in China in 1939 and then with them in defense of the Philippines. It took forever, after first being told it was unavailable and resubmitting the request, to get his file so was finally able to complete the restoration of his ribbons. I had earlier pieced together what info I could find to put representative ribbons on it and posted it, so am now happy to have it exactly correct for his service. He was taken POW with the 4th and finally liberated from his camp in Japan. He surprisingly remained in the Corps until retiring in 1959. He was also awarded the POW medal and Combat Action Ribbon but I did not include those on his bars as he was already retired before they came into effect and would not have had them to wear. Post war he served on different occasions with both the 5th and 6th marines, hence the shoulder fourragiere (spl?) I left in on so I would not lose it even though he was not with them at the later part of his career. The muster rolls reflect highest rank held of MGySgt even though the file lists last rank as GySgt. so I'm not sure...maybe that was temporary rank and reverted back?

post-5081-0-57626300-1430060773.jpg

post-5081-0-68258100-1430060788.jpg

Photo of him being presented an award shortly before he passed away as well as his complete restored ribbons I put together.....

post-5081-0-61050600-1430060910.jpg

post-5081-0-45461600-1430060925.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
FriscoHare
Truly an awesome uniform to commemorate the fall of Corregidor! I’m sure he saw a lot!

I wonder if the Marines promoted him near or at retirement as MGySgt and he just didn’t change his stripes. I have a Captain’s Ike jacket and he retired as a Major in 1957 (He was also a survivor of the Philippine Defense Campaign, inc. the Bataan Death March). However, never replaced his bullion Captain’s bars with Oak Leaves.