Help Identifying a 1980s U.S Flight Helmet with Red Stars

jfairclo

Hey guys, I'm new to flight helmets, so I need your help identifying one. I just bid on a helmet online (not ebay) and need to know some info. The red stars (Top Gun'esque) intrigued me. Does anyone have any info or know if these are in high demand? Value? I am including the link. I am not able to save the pictures for some reason.

Thanks,

JCF

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=21116818

Based on the stock number, it is a US issue helmet.

With the large red stars, it could very well have been used by one of the USAF or USN Aggressor Squadrons. That alone would make it interesting.

northcoastaero

The helmet appears to have the markings of VAQ-34, a USN electronic aggressor squadron. The squadron flew two seat versions of the A-7 Corsair II, ERA-3B Skywarriors, and F/A-18A Hornets from 1983-1993. The helmet is a USN/USMC PRK-37/P based shell with a side actuated dual visor assy. There appears to be a hole on the left side of the shell for a boom microphone mount either from a training squadron or used with the ERA-3B Skywarrior in VAQ-34 at one time.

Bluespicker

The Navy liked to assign a new HGU number when they changed the configuration so you are probably looking officially at an HGU-43 or HGU-44. It would clean up nicely and the markings are authentic. Nice looking helmet.

Ok, thanks guys for the input. I ended up winning the helmet, but I had reservations becase I didn't know much about it