Interesting photo? SPARS “Semper Paratus - Always Ready”

R Michael

I am mainly a photo collector and the subject matter in this scanned negative may be common but it is the first time I have seen a WAC in the coast guard. I have seen many, and have more than a few in my collection, of naval, aircorp, and USMC females but never to date one in the coast guard. So I thought I would share this with you all.

All the best, Mike

post-1387-0-46478000-1429926011.jpg

i like it and am curious what the sleeve patch is would also like to know if she took a picture of the photographer of this picture seeing as she too has a camera cause that would be cool to have lol

also if i remember correctly they are SPARS

i like it and am curious what the sleeve patch is would also like to know if she took a picture of the photographer of this picture seeing as she too has a camera cause that would be cool to have lol

also if i remember correctly they are SPARS

Ask and you shall receive.

Mike

P.S thank you both for the clarification on the nomenclature.

post-1387-0-57154100-1429926807.jpg

The historical significance of the shield dates back to the Revenue Cutter Service. Congress wanted the cutters to be distinguished from other vessels by a unique ensign. On that ensign, created in 1799, and in others since, the shield is a distinctive part of the design. The 13 stars and 13 stripes on the shield represent the 13 original colonies.

Ask and you shall receive.

Mike

P.S thank you both for the clarification on the nomenclature.

very cool! thats 2 i'd love to have on my wall!

by the way for future reference

WACs - Womens Army Corps

WASPs- Womens Airforce Service Pilots

SPARs- USCG womens reserves (Semper Paratus)

WAVES- Womens Naval reserve (Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service)

MCWR- Marine Corps Womens Reserve /BAMs- Beautiful American Marines/ "Lady Marines"

That is funny looks like they were on a date. Hat insignia on pilot looks odd Army Air Corps?

yes Army Air corps Warrant officer

by the way for future reference

WACs - Womens Army Corps

WASPs- Womens Airforce Service Pilots

SPARs- USCG womens reserves (Semper Paratus)

WAVES- Womens Naval reserve (Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service)

MCWR- Marine Corps Womens Reserve /BAMs- Beautiful American Marines/ "Lady Marines"

For more future reference,

Prior to being accepted to full Army status, there was the WAAC - Women's Army Auxiliary Corps.

The women in the Marine Corps were called Marines. The term BAM does not mean "Beautiful American Marine". It was actually a derogatory reference that was hated by all women in the Marine Corps. Out of respect for the women who served in the Marine Corps, this term should NEVER be used in reference to these women.

This interesting information is in the book "Free a Marine to Fight: Women Marines in World War II".

Surprisingly, considering his open opposition to using women at all, General Holcomb adamantly ruled out all cute names and acronyms and when answering yet another report on the subject, stated his views very forcefully in an article in the 27 March 1944 issue of Life Magazine: "They are Marines. They don't have a nickname and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere at a Marine post. They inherit the traditions of Marines. They are Marines".

For more future reference,

Prior to being accepted to full Army status, there was the WAAC - Women's Army Auxiliary Corps.

The women in the Marine Corps were called Marines. The term BAM does not mean "Beautiful American Marine". It was actually a derogatory reference that was hated by all women in the Marine Corps. Out of respect for the women who served in the Marine Corps, this term should NEVER be used in reference to these women.

This interesting information is in the book "Free a Marine to Fight: Women Marines in World War II".

Surprisingly, considering his open opposition to using women at all, General Holcomb adamantly ruled out all cute names and acronyms and when answering yet another report on the subject, stated his views very forcefully in an article in the 27 March 1944 issue of Life Magazine: "They are Marines. They don't have a nickname and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere at a Marine post. They inherit the traditions of Marines. They are Marines".

yes BAMs was a term used that was looked down on for its meaning in that sense however it was one which had many meanings one used by reporters on many occasions which was "Beautiful American Marines" the reporters used it as a word to express females in the Marine corps because "Women Marines" was thought to be "lip-twisting" and "she Marines" was looked down on. therefore the BAMs title came to being in quite a few places... but yes i agree with the jist of what you said.

yes BAMs was a term used that was looked down on for its meaning in that sense however it was one which had many meanings one used by reporters on many occasions which was "Beautiful American Marines" the reporters used it as a word to express females in the Marine corps because "Women Marines" was thought to be "lip-twisting" and "she Marines" was looked down on. therefore the BAMs title came to being in quite a few places... but yes i agree with the jist of what you said.

From what I have read, the term "Beautiful American Marines" was used by one female reporter and not used "on many occasions" or "had many meanings". I have found no reference to the "BAMs title came to being in quite a few places" but rather used once by a female reporter then changed to be used by men as derogatory. Do you have any references where it was used in "quite a few places" that were not derogatory?

From everything I have read, they were most often called Women Reservists which was informally shortened to WRs. I have not found anything where the term "women Marines" was "lip twisting". I did find this "When referred to as women Marines or Marine women, the 'w' was not capitalized as it was later, after the passage of the Armed Forces Integration Act of 1948, the law that gave women regular status in the military."

I am not trying to be argumentative but am trying to convey the way the women in the Marine Corps in WWII were referenced. Can you please post any references to show where the term BAM had many meanings and was used by reporters on many occasions?

I would also like to add an apology to the OP of this thread. I am sorry this has gotten off on a tangent. The picture you posted of the SPAR is a very nice picture. Thank you for posting it. It is nice to see images of SPARS.

...Kat

From what I have read, the term "Beautiful American Marines" was used by one female reporter and not used "on many occasions" or "had many meanings". I have found no reference to the "BAMs title came to being in quite a few places" but rather used once by a female reporter then changed to be used by men as derogatory. Do you have any references where it was used in "quite a few places" that were not derogatory?

From everything I have read, they were most often called Women Reservists which was informally shortened to WRs. I have not found anything where the term "women Marines" was "lip twisting". I did find this "When referred to as women Marines or Marine women, the 'w' was not capitalized as it was later, after the passage of the Armed Forces Integration Act of 1948, the law that gave women regular status in the military."

I am not trying to be argumentative but am trying to convey the way the women in the Marine Corps in WWII were referenced. Can you please post any references to show where the term BAM had many meanings and was used by reporters on many occasions?

Time Magazine had a article about names of female marines in which it states "women Marines" was "Lip-twisting" and that "she marine" was "frowned upon too"... there is a book "ww2 alied womens services" where they state "United States Marine Corps Women's Reserve ranks were termed 'WRs' (or by the media 'BAMs' for 'Beautiful American Marines')." but when you say it was used by one female reporter. i've heard it was thought up by her and after use it was used by men to mean the other things. (i know of 2 variations) and i'll admit after that it was not used in front of them, but then gained popularity again in the 70's...

I would also like to add an apology to the OP of this thread. I am sorry this has gotten off on a tangent. The picture you posted of the SPAR is a very nice picture. Thank you for posting it. It is nice to see images of SPARS.

...Kat

that goes for me as well...

RustyCanteen

A fantastic photo of a SPAR! I do not see many SPAR items at all. To have the USAAF WO companion photo just gives more historical perspective on that snapshot.

Thank you for sharing them with us.

RC

Thank you Kat and all for the informative responses! I know next to nothing about the roles the women played in WWII so I am very happy the discussion that came about from my posting.

This negative grouping has many images of SPARs and this airman. A very interesting grouping as it also had another first for me Color negative medium format film. Unfortunately none with the SPAR but only with the airman.

All the best, Mike

Thank you Kat and all for the informative responses! I know next to nothing about the roles the women played in WWII so I am very happy the discussion that came about from my posting.

Any time. :) I have read a ton of books about women in all branches. I actually just finished one about a Marine. You should read a book about all of the women who served in WWII. It is amazing what they accomplished.

...Kat

• 8 years later...

I can’t recall for sure but I think I read that there were not very many SPARES at all. So not surprising that there are not a lot of photos of them. That makes the ones there are all the more important records of their service. 
Mikie