Incredible 32nd Division Helmet

Bugme

I've looked for years for a nice example of a 32nd Division M-1917. Sadly, there are not a lot of these and I've had to settle for mediocre examples... until this year. Thanks to some good old fashioned horse trading and a bit of cash at the SOS, I was able to get this one from Jeff Shrader at Advanced Guard. I've waited a long time, but it was worth the wait.
RSCN9940-E.jpg
RSCN9942-E.jpg
RSCN9944-E.jpg
RSCN9946-E.jpg
RSCN9949-E.jpg

One of the cooler things about this helmet is that inside of the brim chronicles the soldiers induction, training, transport, countries visited, crossing the Rhine and getting home. Sadly a few things are missing do to heavy patina in one area.

DSCN9957-E.jpg
RSCN9956-E.jpg
RSCN9951-E.jpg

One of the things he mentioned was being torpedoed. Thanks to a fellow forum member we were able to track it down to the SS Tuscania which was torpedoed and sunk on February 5th, 1918. 2114 U.S. troops were onboard with about 200 soldiers and sailors lost to the sinking. According to the 32nd history, these troops were all part of the 32nd Division including those of the 107th Engineer Train.
tumblr_n7bcwkJuhr1slo23ro2_1280.jpg

RSCN9953-E.jpg

Do you have the owners name? Incredible piece of history and with the ship being torpedoed, what a unique find! Thanks for sharing.

Outstanding Scott!

Thanks for posting. ... It's quite the upgrade :)

You may be able to piece together the missing timeline using the unit history.

If you have not figured it out already, the missing section in your photo most likely reads:

A. Luxembourg Nov [?]

L. " Dec [?]

A. Germany Dec. 3

A. West Bank of the Rhine Dec. [?]

A. Coblenz Dec. 13, 1918

L. " " 17 "

"A." standing for "Arrived" and "L" for "Left."

Thanks guys, your comments, suggestions and input are appreciated!

As for the name of this guy, I have not figured it out yet, however there was a very small number of 32nd guys who enlisted on June 11th, arrived at Camp Douglas on August 11th and were in the 107th. So, I am working on narrowing it down.

I have also found a copy of History of the 107th Engineers with chronological history and dates so, I will be able to fill in most blanks as I research this more.

There is a website that contains the passenger list from the Tuscania broken down by units.

The sinking of the Tuscania was the largest single loss of life of American military members since the Civil War.

There is a website that contains the passenger list from the Tuscania broken down by units.

The sinking of the Tuscania was the largest single loss of life of American military members since the Civil War.

Thanks! I just found it in the New York Times archives. It has a complete list including the names of the 77 men of the 107th Engineer Train onboard the Tuscania. This should really help in narrowing it down.

normaninvasion

Beautiful helmet! All the bells and whistles and a diary to boot! From the pics it looks like the soldier did all the work, helluva artist! jeff

My, my, look at all those happy little trees! ;)

Seriously though, I've never seen anything quite so unique. What an amazing combination of folk art, trench art, military history and a soldier's personal experiences all wrapped up in beautiful and unique WWI helmet. Congratulations and thanks so much for sharing!

Since he went through Camp Douglas upon mustering in, he would have been in either Co. D, E or F. These were the Wisconsin companies. A, B and C were from Michigan and went through Camp Custer.

If you have not figured it out already, the missing section in your photo most likely reads:

A. Luxembourg Nov [?]

L. " Dec [?]

A. Germany Dec. 3

A. West Bank of the Rhine Dec. [?]

A. Coblenz Dec. 13, 1918

L. " " 17 "

"A." standing for "Arrived" and "L" for "Left."

There is written Luxemburg on the helmet, in english it is indeed (as you wrote) Luxembourg. Luxemburg is german as the word Burg means 'castle' in english.

I'm just confused because if he was actually in Luxembourg why doesn't he know that? You'll find the word Luxemburg only in Germany, even here in Luxembourg we write it with 'ou'. Just my thought as he translated the other (german) towns correctly.

Alex

There is written Luxemburg on the helmet, in english it is indeed (as you wrote) Luxembourg. Luxemburg is german as the word Burg means 'castle' in english.

I'm just confused because if he was actually in Luxembourg why doesn't he know that? You'll find the word Luxemburg only in Germany, even here in Luxembourg we write it with 'ou'. Just my thought as he translated the other (german) towns correctly.

Alex

There is a Luxemburg in northeast Wisconsin. This might be another clue to his identity.