What do you think of my new Chief Pharmacist's Mate?

David Minton

David Minton

I came across this rate in a lot with a bunch of seemingly random other militaria that was not particularly well labeled. I put in a fairly low bid, and was surprised to be the top bidder. It arrived today, and is in better condition than I expected. I really like the design and quality of the bullion construction, and seems undamaged. The chevrons are not perfect, but pretty good considering they are probably 80 years old.

It is a pre WWII rate, though I am not great at dating them from this period. Mid to late 1930s perhaps?

I don't generally collect pre WWII bullion, so I don't know how scarce this one is. Any idea on value? I assume it is desirable, though not sure if being pre WWII helps or hurts its value.

post-132988-0-42852400-1429813335.jpg

Agreed, that one really pops. I would have to surmise that if a pre WW2 piece it would command a premium of sorts. Tween the wars pieces for all branches of service are under appreciated IMO

David Minton

I was watching that lot, and it looks even better now with a decent photo. Congrats on picking it up!

Thanks, I was surprised it went for as little as it did. Now I need to figure out what to do with the other stuff from the lot. It was odd to see a valuable rate along with some random items.

• 2 weeks later...
subsystem4

I was had my eye on that lot too. I missed it with all the chaos around the move going on. nice score.