My first mannequin... USN PBY patrol bomber pilot

I picked up this flight suit and helmet named to a PBY patrol bomber pilot out of Hawaii in WW2.

Helmet didn't have receivers and goggles... so I added them.

The Jungle flotation bladder was his, but the Mae West and cigarette were added too. :)

does anyone know how they carried the jungle flotation bladder? in a pocket?

He looks naked with no shoes.. anybody got a pair of WW2 roughout USN boots?

I'm sure I will keep dinking with it and adding/moving/changing stuff, but the base will remain the same (helmet and suit).

I can see why you guys get addicted to doing mannequins! it's sort of like building a model with real stuff!

-Brian

post-114538-0-34122100-1429658195.jpg

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

more added

post-114538-0-86830200-1429658230.jpg

it was tough to find a mannequin in this style that was small enough to fit the suit. it's actually a pretty big suit but most modern mannequins are hulks compared to WW2 clothing.

I also have some bullion wings, greenback V5 patches, shoulderboards, and a deck rain jacket all from him as well.

I'm honored to be the caretaker!

-Brian

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2017.gif

Great first Mannequin. Yes it is addicting, I now have 11 Mannequins. Whats nice about it,You get to look at your uniforms when displayed .Instead on them hanging in a closet or boxed up. Before you know it you will have a whole room filled up....

Nick

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Collecting Marine Raider Groups

On the battlefield, Pfc Edward Ahrens, an Able Company BAR man, lay dying, soaked in his own blood.

As his company commander, Lew Walt cradled him in his arms, he surveyed the scene around them. Nearby lay a Japanese officer, a sergeant, and thirteen enlisted men, all dead. Ahrens had been shot twice in the chest and bayoneted three times. He whispered to Walt, "Captain, they tried to come over me last night, but I don't think they made it." Choking back tears, Walt replied softly, "They didn't, Eddy. They didn't."

Nick,

I agree and thanks.

for Jackets I already have a few half-mannequins. I don't really see the need to display a full dress uniform (personally).

What I like about the full mannequin is the ability to add gear and personality. It really "takes you there".

he's already freaked me out a couple times when I turn around and see it out of the corner of my eye.

unfortunately for now I won't be doing too many mannequins. We just don't have the room.

-Brian

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2017.gif

I found it on ebay. You just have to look carefully at the measurements or email if they are missing one you need.

Be careful if they are missing a measurement. A sitting version I was looking at had really small measurements except the shoulders for some reason.. and would have been loose everywhere but tight on the shoulders.

So it really does take some searching to find a mannequin that "matches" your uniform/suit/etc.

I think the seller was called "MannequinMaven" or something like that?

It was about $150 including shipping and is really nice fiberglass, not plastic.

how small is your uniform? This one is ~19" across the shoulders.

but he's tall.. nearly 6 feet. (5' 11" but stands on "toes" a bit to fit shoes/boots)

Yank's Mannequins are supposed to be really good for small stuff, but they are in high demand and usually out of stock it seems.

I was lucky this suit is big enough to go on a semi "normal" sized mannequin.

-Brian

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2017.gif

Very nice....now you need a belt with holster or shoulder holster, shark knife.....the fun is just beginning.

Looks great!

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

haha I know it Ron!!

I have a shoulder holster but not the right one for this display... a Seabee vet-art engraved USMC Boyt.

You know I'll be on the lookout for all sorts of stuff now. :D

First thing is definitely the footwear, poor guy looks a little silly.

-Brian

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2017.gif

Put some gym shoes on him. I,m sure you have a old pair.

Nick

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

On the battlefield, Pfc Edward Ahrens, an Able Company BAR man, lay dying, soaked in his own blood.

As his company commander, Lew Walt cradled him in his arms, he surveyed the scene around them. Nearby lay a Japanese officer, a sergeant, and thirteen enlisted men, all dead. Ahrens had been shot twice in the chest and bayoneted three times. He whispered to Walt, "Captain, they tried to come over me last night, but I don't think they made it." Choking back tears, Walt replied softly, "They didn't, Eddy. They didn't."

Very nice display!

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Forum Member #1691 since September 2007

Served in the US Army from 1960-80

First Sergeant (Retired)

Vietnam 1967 with 7-15th FA ~ [8"/175mm Gun] First Field Forces

Vietnam 1968 with 1-30th FA ~ [155mm] 1st Cavalry Division [AIRMOBILE]

President & Historian 30th FA Regiment Association ( WWW.HardChargers.Com )

Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the 30th Field Artillery Regiment in 2018

Very nice, Brian! You should check Yanks mannequins, they make them sitting and standing in small sizes specifically for vintage military uniforms. Once again, very nice.

Collecting WWI 26th Division Machine Gun and Infantry related Helmets, Equipment, Groupings, Photos and Dog Tags!

donation2015.gif

First thing is definitely the footwear, poor guy looks a little silly.

-Brian

He just went "native" ...

In Memoriam:
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Very nice, Brian! You should check Yanks mannequins, they make them sitting and standing in small sizes specifically for vintage military uniforms. Once again, very nice.

Thanks David!

I did see them.. and looked at their site. They seem like great mannequins, but none were in stock besides (I believe) one model.

plus my wife said she would feel more comfortable with a faceless one. :)

-Brian

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2017.gif

maybe his feet were tired and he's enjoying a relaxing smoke?

Nah, he just got picked up from ditching his plane. ;)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thanks David!

I did see them.. and looked at their site. They seem like great mannequins, but none were in stock besides (I believe) one model.

plus my wife said she would feel more comfortable with a faceless one. :)

-Brian

I Think would too haha

Dave

Collecting WWI 26th Division Machine Gun and Infantry related Helmets, Equipment, Groupings, Photos and Dog Tags!

donation2015.gif

thank you guys.. my wife has already freaked out about it when she came home from work.

it is a little freaky when you catch it out of the corner of your eye. :P

-Brian

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2017.gif

Brian

TELL HER ITS ALWAYS LOOKING AT HER.....lol

In Memoriam:

Mannequin displays are like full sized action figure 1/1 scale instead of 1/6 scale

I agree, having a mannequin in the house or several mannequins does look a little creepy, unless you have a very large open space like a Dept store

or a special room thats separate from the house

it's in the spare bedroom so you catch it out of the corner of your eye every once in a while.

still makes me jump a bit. he better watch it or I might draw on him.

I am already looking around for stuff to add to it and thinking of how to make it "cooler".

Once I get the boots I think I am going to make a frame around the metal plate on the bottom.. and epoxy sand inside the frame, so he will be standing on sand like in Hawaii. :)

-Brian

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2017.gif

Very nice Brian! I love the look of the WWII tropical pilots flight suits and gear! Someday I'd love to put together a WWII USMC pilot mannequin. I have several half and "torso" mannequins, and only one full size one, but that one is the same height as me, 6'4" so it's dressed as a Navy SEAL in Afghanistan, and yes, it occasionally catches me off guard when I walk past my war room and see it looming in the shadows! :)

Good luck finding some footwear for your pilot! :)

Rick

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2017.gif

Collector of WWII M-1helmets and WWII Airborne items

Rick thank you sir! I do too (love the tropical flight look).

I think the footwear is going to be pretty tough. I think I'll put up a WTB ad but not sure if that will help.

I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled in all the usual and unusual places and hope to run across a set.

-Brian

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2017.gif

All my mannequins are half ones and have no heads. like you said they can spook you a few times ,especially when you come home after a few drinks,LOL

Nick

maybe you could buy a decent pair of reproduction rough out boots in your size , so they could be worn for casual wear or for your display? they would look best after they get worn and broken in and used.

something from At The Front

post-1885-0-69991300-1430008803.jpg