M1 carbine zippered carry case extended.

Garandy

Is it 100% known for a fact that a 1943 dated M1 carbine zippered carrying case with extension for a rifles length, was done post war, not by riggers? Same material, and OD color. Thanks.

thetrenchman1918

they are really common, and i don't see why there would have been a need for a rigger to make one of these

thetrenchman1918

yea the surplus dealers cut up lots of things to make them more salable, so they could fit a full length rifle as in carbine length they are to short for most rifles. I find a lot of m1945 packs that have the straps sewn onto it to make them more useable without suspenders to the public, i think my local shop was the one doing it because i see the same thing done to a lot that come from estate sales locally. I don't want to rain on your parade too hard but I can not find a good explanation for them being rigger made for war time use

Maybe 10 years ago I went through a surplus warehouse in LA. It was a place where the surplus stores would buy their goods to stock their shelves. There was a huge amount of stuff still in crates. I saw the largest pile of M43 shovels that I will ever see. Probably several thousand of them.

Anyway, there was one large room full of sewing machines and Hispanic women making sellable items out of surplus web gear. It was quite a place to visit.

I nearly got into a argument with some pompous antique dealer on the USMF Facebook page on this very subject within the past day or so.