Vietnam POW/MIA Bracelet

Vincennes

Do you remember these? Today at the Tulsa, OK flea market I bought a Vietnam POW/MIA Bracelet for $1.

This one is engraved "LCDR C. O. "SMOKEY" TOLBERT 11/6/72".

Clarence Orfield Tolbert was born: 04 Jun 1939. He died 06 Nov 1972. His body was recovered on 3 Nov 1988. His remains were returned 02/22/89. His hometown was Tishomingo, OK.

On the day he was shot down he was flying an A7B "Corsair" off the aircraft carrier USS Midway (CVA-41) on a reconnaissance mission into Nghe An Province, North Vietnam.

He was a 1962 graduate of the Naval Academy and a former Blue Angel pilot.

The bracelet has "VIVA TM" engraved on the inside, so it is one of the original bracelets.

Paul

post-2319-0-16204600-1429397889.jpg

• 1 month later...
trinityparson

Smokey was my dad's cousin. I was only 12 when he was shot down, but remember attending the memorial services in his honor. I came across your find while researching Smokey's military career. I pastor a church down in Ardmore and will be speaking at Ardmore's Memorial Day service at our local Veteran's Center, and will be sharing his story. I'm glad to know this remembrance of his service has made its way into the care of someone who will honor its significance. Blessings, Terry L. Tolbert

firefighter

Interesting bracelet.I have never seen one with a nickname on it before.

Terry sorry for your families loss and your cousins sacrifice.