Small little WASP grouping

Eric Queen

Here is a photo of the WASP Beret in my collection. This belonged to Patricia Kenworthy Nuckols, class of 44-W-5. The beret is manufactured by Knox, which was the manufacturer, not only for the berets but also the Blue WASP Utility caps. I believe that Knox was also the manufacturer for many of the Woman's services caps and hats of WWII. I also have her Santiago Blue uniform. Included in the uniform lot are her jacket, skirt and tie. The shirt shown is a modern woman's shirt.

attachicon.gifphpWWCNO4AM.jpgattachicon.gifphpi7DFQzAM.jpg

Scarecrow,

The WASP's were issued a very unique and specific type of gilt cap piece to apply to their berets. Check out the cap piece which Eric illustrated near the beginning of this thread. That's the type which should be on your beret. Original WASP style cap pieces are highly sought after by a variety of collectors and sell for big bucks even without provenance or association with a specific grouping.

wartimecollectables.com

Here is a photo of the WASP Beret in my collection. This belonged to Patricia Kenworthy Nuckols, class of 44-W-5.

Great display! Can you post a close up of the badge? Shot of the reverse? I think there's possibly more variation than what is accepted.

Great display! Can you post a close up of the badge? Shot of the reverse? I think there's possibly more variation than what is accepted.

Andrew, your absolutely right! There is another known design, but that's not on scarecrow's beret either. Is there a third known style?

Great contribution to this forum, thanks for posting! Also reminder, any interior shots of jackets, berets, and hats would be very helpful

Scarecrow

Hi squidres,

Here are a couple of interior shots. The 1st and more "wrinkled" one is the interior of a blue WASP Utility Flight Cap and the 2nd is the interior of the previously shown WASP beret. As you can see both made by Knox.

post-23999-0-16200900-1430593957.jpgpost-23999-0-54031800-1430593969.jpg

wartimecollectables.com

The wing is actually a WASP Lozenge soldered over an Observer wing. She must have had it made.

Is it on an AMIICO wing?

• 5 months later...
wartimecollectables.com

I ended up with the beret and insignia that started this thread. I know other pieces came out of the same estate sale and I'm interested in reuniting them if anyone has some of those pieces and would part with them.