WWII US Inert Booby Trap and Firing Devices, My Updated Collection

rambob

Thanks to all for the nice comments and I am overwhelmed with the forum response to this topic. I am happy there seems to be a lot of kindred spirits out on the forum when it comes to WW2 things that go boom.

Bob

Well it was raining today so I did an inside diorama project concerning how a US booby trap may have been set up in the jungles of WW2. I entitled my creation "A Bad Day in the Jungle" as it depicts the last seconds before a loud boom is heard throughout the jungle somewhere in the Pacific theater. A buried Pressure Firing Device M1A1 and Mk2 grenade are about to be triggered by the foot of an Imperial Japanese Army soldier walking through the jungle. I raided my wife's fake greenery and vines to try to make it as realistic as possible. Also, note that a small piece of wood was normally used to stabilize the assembly while in the ground. There are three conveniently located tabs with a hole in them to nail/screw the firing device in place when setting it. I hope you enjoy the effect.

Bob

post-299-0-43145800-1429562819.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just thought I would juice this topic in case anyone missed it the first time. I was particularly proud of the diorama with the Japanese foot.

Bob

Bob, I have been collecting since July 1944. This is an area that I have avoided, more out of ignorance than lack of interest. Your photography is outstanding. I especially like the diorama you came up with. Your collection is outstanding. I hope this subject is preserved for reference. Jack Angolia

• 3 years later...

One variation to add to the topic, From what I understand this is the M1 pressure activated booby trap and is a copy of the British booby trap that predates the M1A1 shown..

post-169522-0-05822900-1554595645_thumb.jpg

P-59A, thanks for adding your M1 booby trap to the topic. Another pristine condition example to be admired. I wonder if the internal mechanism is the same as the M1A1 version?

Bob

P-59A, thanks for adding your M1 booby trap to the topic. Another pristine condition example to be admired. I wonder if the internal mechanism is the same as the M1A1 version?

Bob

The only thing I see that is different is the added safety pin and multi use of the M1A1. The small black disk to the upper right looks to be a cover for the plunger hole. Maybe the item was not carried intact and put together when needed?

post-169522-0-05621700-1554689298_thumb.jpg

Not sure what that disk part is for, but my opinion is that the unit would be carried assembled due to the possible loss of the small internal parts. Also, difficulty of assembly in bad light or cold with gloves on would be a problem.

Bob

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is a few years old, but I just saw it for the first time and wanted to say great collection rambob!  Thanks for posting the pictures, and the detailed descriptions.  I especially like the display you made with the boot.  I hope you do not mind, but I am going to copy your idea and make a few similar displays for my collection someday.  It would be great to use with a cut-away version of a German S-Mine with a Russian boot too.

rambob... did you ever end up deciding to sell off some of those practice detonators?  Also, have you set any off to see what they do? I'm assuming a slight bang and a lot of smoke?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I am curious as to how the fuse works. I’m creating a 3D model of an M16 Landmine, which uses the M605 fuse. It appears to be quite similar to the M6/7. Still trying to wrap my head around how this functions. Here’s an image of the model I’m creating. Is the blue supposed to be all one piece? Does anyone have one of these M6/7 fuses fully disassembled? Just curious how the Trigger Pin and Release Pin is supposed to look.

m605.png

I think I’ve probably found just about every cutaway image you could think of haha. And from a side/cutaway angle, it seems to look/work great:m605.gif.b3b668a4fe266780ce9156da0b0c14b2.gif

The real issue is when it comes to making it 3D. As you can see, the green and blue parts should not be intersecting. Just trying to figure out what I’ve got wrong:m605-3d.gif.c5ac7a6312e697baa2c3f4d3951e16ad.gif

UPDATE:

It’s certainly not my intention for this project to elicit any risks to others. I’ve always loved showing how things work, specifically firearms. I thought it would be neat to create something other than a firearm, in this case a Bouncing Betty. However, I’ve begun to understand the concerns and potential risks. I’ve decided to discontinue further development of the project at this point. For a little context, I create firearm animations on my YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/c/MattRittman

I initially joined the forum because I saw that someone had posted about the M16 mine, and was looking to get more information about it.

Feel free to remove my posts if need be. Again I apologize for any inconvenience.