mtnman

HOW TO SPOT ANGUS AND COOTE TRUE WINGS

I am sorry to inform you of this fact, but the Glider Pilot wing is one of the counterfeits die struck from laser precise cut dies. We have all been there, you are not alone in purchasing a counterfeit wing. These came out in a huge lump sum a few years back and flooded the market until it was brought to light, what was happening and since then they have shown up but not in the numbers they once did as it has been disseminated into the community what these perfect wings from modern manufacturing techniques are. I am on the road so I will take a look at any others when I get home.

Thanks for your answer mtnman ^_^

No problem if it's a counterfeit, I just want to share on our FB page the true and show as a counterfeit.
I do some reenactment and I will enjoy to put this wings on my shirt.
A very nice made with nice patina.

Yes this will be a nice wing for reenactment for sure! And by the way, I truly respect what you do and the reenactment network of events, keeping the history alive in reliving these pivotal events in history, I commend you sir.

Okay gentleman, I need to share with you a wing that I purchased a few years ago during my divorce. First of all, this should be a lesson for all of you, not to make decisions during catastrophic upsets in your life which could possibly cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars. I was too absolutely wasted with enervation and sadness to share it, or anything else for that matter, when I discovered it back then with the help of Cliff Presley whose keen eye caught it right away when I sent detailed pictures upon receiving it but at least I can put it on this Angus and Coote section to give you guys an idea of what to look for regarding cast replicas of Angus and Coote wings, specifically in this case, a senior pilot wing.

Here is a picture of the two wings that I will use to compare. One is an attributed pilot wing by Angus and Coote to a 5th Air Force B25 driver in the Air Apaches named Roland P Thomas. The other Wing is the cast fake Angus and Coote senior pilot wing.

post-76516-0-70828000-1580494935_thumb.jpg

First of all we will look at a top view of the wings so to see the marked difference in the depth of the wings. The cast wing has shoulders of differing depth and they are much thinner than the true Angus and Coote Wing clearly. The edge on the cast wing is bumpy and imprecise.

post-76516-0-57082700-1580495008_thumb.jpg

Next we will look at the palleted or railed design underneath the star. It is easy to see where the silver leaked into the rails and created a varying depth pool at the bottom of the rails. I attached the gorgeous picture of Tod Rathbone's most excellent senior pilot example from Bob Schwartz' informative site Aviation Wings and Badges to show what the rails should look like.

post-76516-0-72318400-1580495194_thumb.jpg

post-76516-0-58332200-1580495530_thumb.jpg

Next we will look at the rear of the badges one on top of the other and it can be seen in the pallets on the rear of the shield, the blurred cast indicators in the pallets the cast Wing versus the true die stamped Angus and Coote.

post-76516-0-66121800-1580495849.jpg

Next we will look at a casting flaw which I call a pothole and I'm sure other people have different names for it. Sometimes a bubble forms in the casting and bursts as it cools and you get a bubble burst pothole. This was found on one of the star rays. Look inside the circle.

post-76516-0-52418300-1580496257_thumb.jpg

Next, there is a flaw in the die of the Angus and Coote wing used for the base wing in all of these. In the lower sinister or left side of the shield from the perspective of the wing, in between the bottom of the first palette and the edging of the shield, there is a bump. That bump is supposed to be there but it has certain characteristics on the true wings. The bump itself is separated from and you can see the edge of the shield. In the cast wing, the bump is not separated from the edge because the silver pooled their and connected the bump with the edge of the shield. It is a fine detail but a very important one.

post-76516-0-35851500-1580496548_thumb.jpg

post-76516-0-74063900-1580496581_thumb.jpg

Finally, here is a big flaw that, in my state of mind, I had simply overlooked. In the cooling process, silver gathered in a few places on the rear of the wing and created casting pebbles. There is one big pebble and a couple of smaller ones which the arrows point out. I hope this helps someone in the future, from making the same mistakes I did, foolishly making a big decision like this in a catastrophic time in my life and trusting that the wing was a good one without doing DUE DILIGENCE. As always gentleman, blessings in your collecting.....mtnman

post-76516-0-04224300-1580497086_thumb.jpg