AAF combat lunch ration

Kration

Here's the newest addition to my QMC rations collection... Early 1944 AAF flight lunch... Seldom seen ration as used by bomber crews while on missions.

Kration

post-107-1217020271.jpg

• 1 year later...
Any chance of a look at the contents?

I'm thinking of reproducing one...

Check out this on ebay UK....400087278963...the guy calls his business WARTIME RATIONS. Says it all.

Sabrejet

The Flight Lunch, also known as the "Combat Lunch" for the USAAF was developed for substinence long range bombings, consisted of the following;

sugar, coffee, minute rice, powdered milk, lemon powder, tea tablets, bouillon, beef, biscuits, fruit bars, candy, dehydrated apricots, gum and salt etc...

In 1944 the name changed to "AAF Flight Lunch"...

flightlunch.jpg

Dohh!! ""Kellogg's" instead of "Kellogg".... :w00t:

flightlunch.jpg

I am going to reproduce the whole ration if anyone is interested, I have the full specifications and have sourced some modern day equivalents, but in the end , it may not be edible, only display items...

flightlunch.jpg

I am going to reproduce the whole ration if anyone is interested, I have the full specifications and have sourced some modern day equivalents, but in the end , it may not be edible, only display items...

Looks promising! The original appears to have a waxy finish. Is that how they were... or is that simply the effect of 65+ years of ageing on the cardboard?

Sabrejet

General Apathy
Here's the newest addition to my QMC rations collection... Early 1944 AAF flight lunch... Seldom seen ration as used by bomber crews while on missions.

Kration

Hi Kration, what a beaut, definitely a one off, I have never caught sight of one before. :thumbsup: ;)

Cheers Lewis

Looks promising! The original appears to have a waxy finish. Is that how they were... or is that simply the effect of 65+ years of ageing on the cardboard?

Sabrejet

Yep... they where indeed waxed covered/dipped in wax... three of them where placed in a bigger "solid fiber" box (heavy cardstock.. I have replicated this by glueing two or three normal cardstock sheets together, but it's time consuming and the folds etc are a b1tch to do) which was not waxed... And off the top of my head, three of the "bigger" boxes where in turn placed in nailed wooden crates for overseas shipment...

Call me a "rations geek", I'll see it as a compliment :w00t: :thumbsup:

Yep... they where indeed waxed covered/dipped in wax... three of them where placed in a bigger "solid fiber" box (heavy cardstock.. I have replicated this by glueing two or three normal cardstock sheets together, but it's time consuming and the folds etc are a b1tch to do) which was not waxed... And off the top of my head, three of the "bigger" boxes where in turn placed in nailed wooden crates for overseas shipment...

Call me a "rations geek", I'll see it as a compliment :w00t: :thumbsup:

So you're a RATIONS GEEK!

Ian :lol:

So you're a RATIONS GEEK!

Ian :lol:

:thumbsup:

Going through the QMC specs, I have this impression that this was advanced, in that all the cans where laquered in an OD finish, the boullion foil was a sand coloured which I have seen in later post War rations... Should be easy to do... I have already sourced cans that are VERY close to the specifications...

The OD finish, unlike some ration tins we see reproduced is not the dark green, or the commercial spray we see sold for helmets, or vehicles, but a sort of metallic green we see wi the Korean and Vietnam C ration tins... Car shop might be the place to get that... I might have this done this week and will post photos as soon as I do...

:thumbsup:

Going through the QMC specs, I have this impression that this was advanced, in that all the cans where laquered in an OD finish, the boullion foil was a sand coloured which I have seen in later post War rations... Should be easy to do... I have already sourced cans that are VERY close to the specifications...

The OD finish, unlike some ration tins we see reproduced is not the dark green, or the commercial spray we see sold for helmets, or vehicles, but a sort of metallic green we see wi the Korean and Vietnam C ration tins... Car shop might be the place to get that... I might have this done this week and will post photos as soon as I do...

Correction to above... I was reading the QM specs from the 1944 edition where it seems to ahve changed it's name also to the COMBAT LUNCH... Lunch, Combat, Army Air Forces... The Flight Lunch QMM specs doesn't go into external labels etc...

According to my copy of AAF Manual 55-0-1 "Reference Manual for Personal Equipment Officers"

1. Short missions. To provide a readily available and palatable source of energy, the Air Crew Lunch (Stock No. 8300-680475) is available. This consists of two one-once fudge bars, two ounces of assorted candies, and two pieces of gum. The package is designed to be used with one hand and to fit into the flying suit pocket. The basis of issue is one per crew member on flights of three or more hours duration. It is suggested that the crew members be instructed to utilize these after the mid-point of the mission.

Wow and I typed this all from a Blackberry lol

what a beaut, definitely a one off, I have never caught sight of one before. :thumbsup: ;)

Cheers Lewis

Ken,

Thanks for the comments.. Yes I have to agree it's def one of a kind, right up there with the mountain rat and the Five in one. Now if I could only find a really nice example of the AAF thermos basket set to display it with. I also have a crate of the small Air Crew lunches.

Kration

Collector U.S. Army rations 1918-1945

Printer finally has bit the dust, so this is how far I have wi the contents (based on the QMC specs and no actual images, so I took it that by the specs I went with clear laquered, or gold laquered cans, and as little commercial labelled products (Sunsweet dried peaches)... some others have to be added, but this is a first draft (as it where):

As per "CQD No. 156, 4 October 1943... LUNCH, FLIGHT, ARMY AIR FORCES"

Beef 8 oz

Butter 3 1/2 oz

Coffee 1 oz

Milk powder 4 1/2

Chili powder 7 grams

Tomato paste 6 oz

C Square Biscuits 14oz

Bouillon Cubes x5 0.3 oz

Hard Candy x6 1.1/8 oz

Evaporated Fruit 11oz

Fruit bar x3 2oz

Gum x10

Lemon powder x3 7grams

Pre-cooked rice 3oz

Salt 6oz

Tea tablets x3

Can opener

flightlunchrepro.jpg

From my copy of QMC Historical Studies September 1944, under the section headed "QMC 17-3 (which going by the section in there concerning the K ration is either after August '45 or Post War):

LUNCH, AIR CREW

Stock No. 56-L-5775

And a photo I got somewhere, sorry can't remember:

rationaircrewjan456jd.jpg