April 11th West Haven CT Militaria Show Purchases

I rarely ever go to Militaria shows but as this show was only twenty minutes away, and as I had nothing better or more important to do, I decided to go. Boy, am I glad I did.

My haul:

First Special Service Force Patch - Bought from another forum member at the show.

1943 Dated "Yale" M1936 Pistol Belt

WWII Parachute Silk Scarf

Two 1942 Dated Life Magazines

WWII Civil Air Patrol Senior Member Patch

WWII or 1950's Civil Air Patrol Connecticut Wing Patch - I'm not sure if this is definitely WWII or not for I do not know exactly when squadron shoulder patches originated in CAP.)

post-154136-0-26379200-1429139305.jpg

post-154136-0-91609300-1429140888.jpg

post-154136-0-82032700-1429141022.jpg

Nice finds, I especially like the WWII CAP patch as I have a decent collection of CAP items having served with the organization for 13 years. Thanks for sharing.

Robert

I'm currently in the program, and have been in for 2 1/2 years, I don't think I would have ever known about it's WWII origins otherwise. I'm glad to see other members, both former and current, on this forum. Semper Vigilans!

Glad you like the patch. It was nice meeting you at the show. I see that you did a good job learning how to get the most for your money (haggle, haggle, haggle). See you in October.

Tom K
USMC (VMFA-115) 90 - 96
ASMIC Member
OVMS member (ready for my 16th SOS in 2019)

donation2016.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2012.gif

Glad you like the patch. It was nice meeting you at the show. I see that you did a good job learning how to get the most for your money (haggle, haggle, haggle). See you in October.

Ha! Thanks again, it's actually perfect timing that I got that patch from you then, I just recently found out my Uncle Gene's uncle is one of the last surviving members of the FSSF. In-fact, I'm interviewing him this Saturday. Our family just found out he what he did in the war, being in the FSSF. If you have any questions you'd like me to ask him during my interview, please, post them. He may or may not have an answer, but it's worth a shot, you never know.

Matthew,

If you could ask him a question from me, that would be great. I am wondering what type of.uniforms and web equipment he wore during the war.

Thanks

Dave

Collecting WWI 26th Division Machine Gun and Infantry related Helmets, Equipment, Groupings, Photos and Dog Tags!

donation2015.gif

Matthew,

If you could ask him a question from me, that would be great. I am wondering what type of.uniforms and web equipment he wore during the war.

Thanks

Dave

I just interviewed him today, a little late but better than never, I have many pictures from his personal photo album I'm sure you'd enjoy but I'm going to check with him if it's okay for me to post them online. He seemed fine with me taking pictures of the photos, as I couldn't scan them (no scanner), but you never know he may not want them online. However, I can tell you he was a rifleman and an automatic rifleman. He used the M1 Garand (In which he carried an M1936 Cartridge Belt and some Bandoleers), the M1941 Johnson (The "Johnny Gun" as he called it.) and the Browning Automatic Rifle. He also, when using an LMG, carried an M1911 attached to an M1936 Pistol Belt that had a General's Star attached through the holster (He added that personal touch). He also wore, over the course of his service, one of the Mountain Troop Parkas, an M1943 Jacket, M1941 Jacket, M1937 Wool Set, Paratrooper Boots, and even a random black beret and black sweater he acquired in France after losing his helmet. Lastly, he only ever wore the Ike Jacket for his dress uniform, and even wore at one point, at least when he was in Rome, a private purchase wool shirt with epaulets. Which surprised me as he was only a Sergeant.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.