7th Armored Division PH KIA 4/15/1945

B24AT6

This Purple Heart just recently came into my possession, and tells the story of a GI who was just days away from seeing the life he had ahead of him. PFC Robert R. Force entered the Army on April 2, 1943 and was assigned to the 38th Armored Infantry Battalion of the 7th Armored Division. PFC Force remained with the the battalion throughout the war, until April 6, 1945 when he was severely wounded in the divisions assault on Niedersorpe, Germany or the resulting German counter-attack in Holthausen. The 7th Armored Division effectively ceased combat on the 16th of April when the 116th Panzer Division surrendered to the Division. PFC Force succumbed to his wounds on April 15th and was one of the final members of the division to be killed in the war. He was interred in the Margraten American Cemetery.

post-41109-0-60607200-1429119748.jpg

It is good to see something on the 7th Armor and I hope you don't mind me posting here.

My Great Uncle, 1st Lt. Alban M. Eull, 7th Armored Division, 38th Armored Infantry Battalion, Company C.was captured in the vicinity of Pierreville, France, on September 14, 1944. He died from his wounds as a POW on October 16, 1944, at Obermassfeld, Germany, at Stalag IX-C, Bad Sulza.

post-12923-0-99097100-1429189013.jpg

• 3 months later...
Lucky 7th Armored

Sorry to dig up a topic that is a couple of months old, but I couldn't resist commenting. RIP soldier!

Haydn

• 5 years later...

Bumping this with a photo of Private Force that was uploaded by a member of his family. His medals came with a pair of jump wings that I did not believe belonged with the group but it appears he was at least jump qualified. I will have to get Private Force’s file to shed further light on what were his qualifications.

2FC2D3F9-1643-4971-985A-3BDC25A9927F.jpeg.e81fc32e9acabbce5a2f732d93ca91ca.jpeg