Color of paint on USN helmets

ccmax

Amazing Helmets!

My next helmet purchase will be a WWII Navy one!

Time to get a Higgins boat crew impression together.

Leonardo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
USMC-RECON0321

My fixed bail came from a WWII corpsmen grouping (many years ago when no one wanted WWII US stuff) that also included the navy jumper with the 1st Marine Division patch.

Tim

post-2144-1217024244.jpg

Maybe I'm seeing things, but if this came from a "WWII Corpsman grouping" it looks like he used a Vietnam era EGA??

My two humble contributions to this thread I have previously posted in "Groupings". But thought it appropriate to add here also.

The 1st helmet pictured belonged to a PT Boat crewman, John J. O'Reilley. It is a fixed bail.

The 2nd helmet belonged to my great Uncle CMM Antone L. Braga. Purple Heart recipient after sustaining injuries during a Japanese aerial attack on the USS Nicholas in "Iron Bottom Sound" It is a swivel bail.

post-23999-0-00600800-1351792641_thumb.jpg

post-23999-0-56868800-1351792688_thumb.jpg

post-23999-0-50545300-1351792737_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Great helmets everyone! Has anyone come across any WWII or Korean War era UDT marked or linked helmets? I am looking for some refernce photos for a friends display.

• 4 weeks later...

I could not resist! As previously mentioned, the lack of any standards as to paint and abbreviations, and the decades of service a M1 might serve in the USN, make determination of the period difficult. So, what the heck! I threw a bunch in together! :blink: Most are WWII and some are identified, some PTO and some ETO. The "CAPT." is my latest recruit, rather dull compared to some, belonging to Lt Humsjo who skippered the LCI 502 and dropped British Infantry off on Gold Beach on D-Day. He latered skippered the LSM 524 in preparation for the Japanese Invasion. He passed on in 2008. A few others I have put in separate posts.........jpstout

post-3673-1282705119.jpg

I am curious if you still have the helmet of Lt. Stephen Humsjo.

Lt. Stephen Humsjo got to take the overseas trip for the 50 anniversary of D-Day. He loved talking of his ship and the dropoff.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
SergeantMajorGray

This helmet belonged to LT. Edgar Gene Trombly who was the head damage control officer on the USS Puget Sound destroyer tender of the coast of Vietnam in 1968. He did a excellent job painting the ship insignia on both sides of his helmet.

post-104619-0-63941800-1389413386.jpg

post-104619-0-82009700-1389413524.jpg

• 4 months later...
slickdogmess

Here's one of mine another Vietnam era helmet if anyone can tell me what CMC means I would appreciate it.

attachicon.gifcmc.jpg

Probably Command Master Chief

• 1 month later...

VERY NICE THREAD.

I recently picked up a USN grey painted helmet... I will try to snap a pic sometime.

-Brian

Screamingeagles101

WW2 schlueter M1 belonging to Harry W. Parker who fought on the USS SAN JUAN(1942-1944) and the USS Bunker Hill(1945) I believe this is the helmet had was wearing while on the Bunker Hill.

Screamingeagles101

WW2 schlueter M1 belonging to Harry W. Parker who fought on the USS SAN JUAN(1942-1944) and the USS Bunker Hill(1945) I believe this is the helmet had was wearing while on the Bunker Hill.

post-101355-0-83128600-1403731609.jpg

• 3 months later...

Dear Gents

Here is my first thread and my first day in this forum,First I want to learn so much about you to collect US M-1 helmets from WW2,and second I will share with you all my new items,at the moment I do own only 2 WW2 M-1 helmets and one is from US NAVY,it was a gift from a friend from the States,another friend opened a thread about it for comments and only a few comments there and so when I saw this thread talking about USN paints on shell I thought may be you can light me if this dark blue paint on my US navy shell is WW2 or postwar as I was said for another friend than USN M-1,s paint was light grey or llight blue and how many types have you seen in text book(pics and comments)

Finally if you any similar paint of mine,please post pics to see.

On the other hand what is the name:sailor,s ship,s???????????

Thanks for helping me and happy to be in this Forum and I hope to share with you too many items in future :)

Fernando

My friend,s thread about my pot ;)

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/221497-us-navy-m-1-helmet-opinions-please/?hl=%2Bnavy+%2Bhelmet

navy1.jpg

navy3.jpg

navy4.jpg

navy5.jpgnavy6.jpgnavy9.jpgnavy10.jpgnavy7.jpg

Your answer can be found in this topic.Vew all 6 pages and you will see the various colors

There are other topics as well on Navy painted helmets.

Ship board helmets were painted with what ever color was at hand.

The dark grey blue on yours is trypical of ships painted that was used in WW2

Here is a WW2 with the basic same color as the one posted.

Take into account a lot of the paint was hand mixed or had paint added to it and with age,sun,salt air and general oxidation,poor storage over the last 70 years and paint will change.

post-342-0-15156900-1413141717.jpg

post-342-0-41796000-1413141755.jpg