Opinions Please

gap

Is this a version of the test embroidered patches from 1943? All of the ones I have seen had much more white on the back, this one has almost none. However, the ink stamp is identical. Thanks.

post-51748-0-15063700-1428971585.jpg

David Minton

I would think it real than for no other reason than, why wouldn't it be? I'm not sure why anyone would anybody bother? Even as a 1943 test version, I don't think it has much more value than if it is a post war sample.

That being said, I agree it doesn't look like any I can recall seeing. I would need to go through my collection to see if I have any similar examples.

David Minton

Follows is an example that I believe to be real. This comes from a collection of around forty I purchased that was reportedly collected by the seller's father while he served in the US Navy during WWII. As a rating that was abolished before embroidered chevrons were used (other than the 1943 test), I think the chance it was faked to be low.

post-132988-0-76931800-1429023612.jpg

Thanks Dave. I do note that your example has quite a bit of white thread on the reverse, unlike mine. Also, your weave pattern seems very different.

But to your point, who would want to fake a patch of this sort?

David Minton

That sample was the first one I came across. I have a few hundred rates, and only some are organized at all. I may find some like the one you have.

There are reproductions and fakes out there, but I believe they are currently few and far between. There is a guy on eBay selling reproductions (they are identified as such in the description, so he is not a fraud) with embroidered chevrons, but they are for more rare/collectable ratings, such as Pharmacist's Mate and Naval Aviation Pilot. He charges $27, if i recall. On the other hand, why forge an Aviation Metalsmith 2c that would sell for $2?

That sample was the first one I came across. I have a few hundred rates, and only some are organized at all. I may find some like the one you have.

There are reproductions and fakes out there, but I believe they are currently few and far between. There is a guy on eBay selling reproductions (they are identified as such in the description, so he is not a fraud) with embroidered chevrons, but they are for more rare/collectable ratings, such as Pharmacist's Mate and Naval Aviation Pilot. He charges $27, if i recall. On the other hand, why forge an Aviation Metalsmith 2c that would sell for $2?

And that's exactly what I paid for it! LOL!

Thanks for your insight Dave.

I know I am late to this thread, but I would say its good also. I think there may of been more than one company making these "test" embroider rates at the time. I have at least one ww2 uniform that has your style rate on it.