USN 7th Beach Battalion M1 helmet

3rdID1944

Why then would you put a spotlight on the auction????? Ya gotta lay low until the last few seconds and then hit it.

I keep getting bid out instantly so if I go at the last second there's a chance I could be outbid

Link are worthless to threads...the link will be broken sooner or later and the thread will be wasted.Please add the images.

$_3-12.jpeg$_3-31.jpeg$_3-15.jpeg$_3-16.jpeg$_3-24.jpeg$_3-28.jpeg$_3-26.jpeg

Are you buying this as an original? I would suggest that you do some research. I'm pretty sure that the originals had the number 7 a bit lower

under the arch. Then, when the order was given to apply the gray band, most of the number 7 was painted over. I have two original USN D-Day

Grey Band helmets in my collection. The Grey in the ebay helmet looks to be a bit too blue. Just a friendly suggestion, and I'll add the seller

doesn't seem to think it's original either.

I wish I could sell reproductions for this kind of money...

I guess I should have read the listing prior to giving bidding advice! But my advice still holds (for original stuff). Think of the maximum you want to pay and bid that amount at the last second. If you lose, oh well. It's no different from walking away from an item at a show that is priced at more than you want to pay.

The seller is a member of this forum and as Dave noted above, his description for the listing says it is a repro.

Could there be any way that this didn't belong to the 7th Beach Battalion, and instead had different meaning to the insignia? There was a David M. Hoffman who got out of the Navy as a GM2/C on LCI(L)-604 (landing craft, infantry) in the PTO in 1944 and 1945. He passed away in California in 1995. Just pulling at straws.........

Are you buying this as an original? I would suggest that you do some research. I'm pretty sure that the originals had the number 7 a bit lower

under the arch. Then, when the order was given to apply the gray band, most of the number 7 was painted over. I have two original USN D-Day

Grey Band helmets in my collection. The Grey in the ebay helmet looks to be a bit too blue. Just a friendly suggestion, and I'll add the seller

doesn't seem to think it's original either.

Could you post pictures of these helmets?

strawberry 9

I saw this one when it was first listed and added it to my watch list to take a closer look at later. In no time at all the price got ridiculous and I couldn't figure out what people were going crazy about. As stated, the seller said that he thinks it is a repro. I wager the winning bidder ends up not paying and it gets relisted.

It's a matter of people just not doing their homework, or in this case more importantly not reading the full description. I was at an auction recently where a Luftwaffe sword was being auctioned. Aside from the sword being an obvious (to me) reproduction, the blade embossed with "made in china", and the auctioneers last word in his description being "reproduction", two bidders battled it out to over $200 with a buyers premium of 15%. Then I witnessed and overheard the winning bidder bragging and showing his friend a militaria site on his phone which had luftwaffe swords for sale and how his was worth almost $1000. It was obvious he thought he had scored big. As I was telling my girlfriend what had just happened, he disappeared and I wasn't able to point out the bad news to him.

Burning Hazard

Out of curiosity, if it's being sold as a reproduction then why is it listed in the original WWII period section on eBay?

Pat

Out of curiosity, if it's being sold as a reproduction then why is it listed in the original WWII period section on eBay?

Pat

In his defense, the majority of the helmet is original (shell, straps, liner, accessories). But, true, if the painted markings are indeed recently applied, then the item should be, at the very least, listed in both sections.

In his defense, the majority of the helmet is original (shell, straps, liner, accessories). But, true, if the painted markings are indeed recently applied, then the item should be, at the very least, listed in both sections.

You don't need to defend him, the seller knows exactly what he is doing and what he is selling. It is a repop, nothing more nothing less.

I don't think it should be listed in both sections. The seller knows that it's not an authentic 7th NBB helmet; someone messed with it. The fact that he won't come out and unequivocally call it a fake--without the "I'm selling it as . . ." baloney--is right in line with several of the other repros he's sold recently. In my opinion, there's no defense for that.

I don't think it should be listed in both sections. The seller knows that it's not an authentic 7th NBB helmet; someone messed with it. The fact that he won't come out and unequivocally call it a fake--without the "I'm selling it as . . ." baloney--is right in line with several of the other repros he's sold recently. In my opinion, there's no defense for that.

100% agree he's done this on several lids and knows exactly what he's doing.