4th FIW Korea

uberguido

I just had a quick one, it's been driving me and a buddy nuts. I recently picked up a KW 4th Fighter Interceptor Wing tour patch, 1951-1952. There is a depiction of a weasel on the top, at least I think that's what it's supposed to be. I am not knowledgeable on the air units, but after some searching I still can't find the answer to what this weasel is supposed to be. They flew Sabres from what I gather so it's not an aircraft reference, not with a search of subordinate units does it look like it's a mascot. anyone know what the weasel should be in reference to?

Thanks ahead of time guys.post-105459-0-80902800-1428928701.jpg

It's probably supposed to be a lion. The older 4 wing patches had lion on it to denote their service in the RAF with US volunteers until being absorbed by the USAAF. They kept it like that until the early 90s when the lion was removed. FYI, most of these say "Returned From Hell". It looks like yours was redone to make it, in those days, less offensive.

Randy

Randy,

Awesome! Ok not being familiar with air units this makes sense. I would not have guessed a lion though, not in 100 years. Good call.

Yes I mainly collect your patches now and I think the "returned from Korea" rather than Hell, may have been for the cleaner, perhaps more religious joes. It is the more uncommon variant.

Thanks for the heads up on the lion, I've come to understand this was a pretty pivotal wing during the war. I'm glad to have it