Which current manufacturer produces the hiqhest quality medals?

llafoe

Who manufactures the highest quality medals?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who manufactures the highest quality medals?

• Graco
    • Ira Green
    • Officers Equipment
    • Vanguard

I believe there are currently 4 manufacturers of medals... Graco, Ira Green, Officers Equipment and Vanguard. Vanguard appears to be the most prolific. Which one currently produces the best medals?

MilitaryWired

Unless something has changed, Vanguard does not actually make medals or ribbon bars. They don't make metal insignia either (crests and badges).

Vanguard is the main customer for several manufacturers & will order hundreds of the more "common" medals at a time. For small medal orders, they might order from Graco, Officer's Equipment, Ira Green or others & just put it in a Vanguard box.

Unless something has changed, Vanguard does not actually make medals or ribbon bars. They don't make metal insignia either (crests and badges).

Vanguard is the main customer for several manufacturers & will order hundreds of the more "common" medals at a time. For small medal orders, they might order from Graco, Officer's Equipment, Ira Green or others & just put it in a Vanguard box.

Good Info... explains why Vanguard tends to be the most expensive. Are the older Vanguard medals (marked V-21, etc.) also contracted medals or did they actually manufacture them in the past?

Most GI Navy medals are/were Graco... Marines OE and Army Ira Green. Graco appears to be a "new" company (Northwest Territorial Mint).

The Vanguard stuff currently sold in the exchange is actually pretty good looking. The OE insignia for the USMC is also nice. I think of Graco and Ira Green as the cut rate makers.

Good Info... explains why Vanguard tends to be the most expensive. Are the older Vanguard medals (marked V-21, etc.) also contracted medals or did they actually manufacture them in the past?

Most GI Navy medals are/were Graco... Marines OE and Army Ira Green. Graco appears to be a "new" company (Northwest Territorial Mint).

Graco used to be its own company and was bought out by Northwest a year or two ago. Other than the name change there doesn't appear to have been any changes in what they stock/manufacture.

IMHO, they are all garbage. The stampings should have been thrown away long ago and new ones made up. I am pretty embarrassed by the quality of our medals today. They poorly reflect on our respect for honor of service and sacrifice.

-Ski

Ski,

I agree.

when I see modern stuff it all looks fake to me.

similar to cheesy items won out of a claw machine or bought in a 25 cent egg.

-Brian