Weird, experimental? Blue/woodland sterile BDU

polecat

Believe it or not but the camopedia entry for Thailand may not necessarily be comprehensive. Back in the early '80s I bumped into Kent Spalding from K&S books in a militaria shop in Hong Kong. He'd just come back from a buying trip in Thailand and was pulling out some pretty weird patterns, some of which aren't featured on the camopedia entry. I recall a strange darker pattern somewhat similar to this one which he attributed to the Thai Border Police, but I also recall, back then, all Thai stuff was either in OG-107 utility or jungle fatigue cut, not BDU style.

Filupe,

You are 100% correct about the Camopedia. It is a great site for general knowledge, but like you said, it doesn't have all the patterns that were ever made or used. To be honest, I'm not sure any site would ever have all the patterns used by the world armies.

I am also leaning heavily towards this being a Thai pattern. One thing I failed to mention in my above post, the Thais were very fond of pocket patches.

Believe it or not but the camopedia entry for Thailand may not necessarily be comprehensive. Back in the early '80s I bumped into Kent Spalding from K&S books in a militaria shop in Hong Kong. He'd just come back from a buying trip in Thailand and was pulling out some pretty weird patterns, some of which aren't featured on the camopedia entry. I recall a strange darker pattern somewhat similar to this one which he attributed to the Thai Border Police, but I also recall, back then, all Thai stuff was either in OG-107 utility or jungle fatigue cut, not BDU style.

i second that all, but they used also a bdu like cut later...it's the most similar i've found at the moment, other countries has either epaulettes, snap, flat or exposed buttons and such.

Is possible the shoulder patch was actually a small rectangular pocket?