Knife collection from my Grandfather

8MM

So I went to visit my 90 year old Grandpa today,and got quite a surprise..

He gave me this collection of knives he had in his closet!

He was in the CBI theater in WW2 (1943-1945),and apparently had a lot of free time,as he made the entire handle of the plexiglass fighting knife,and put plexiglass spacers in the Imperial fighting knife.The all plexiglass one he made in Fiji,and he traded something to a Marine for the Imperial,then customized it.I cant see any marking on the all plexiglass one

The machete he said he bought at a surplus store in the 50s or 60s-he also claimed he used it to clear an entire acre of blackberry bushes! Blade says True Temper US 1945..scabbard is Viner Brothers 1944

The Bolo (?) he cannot remember getting,and said it was probably in one of his trade deals or in an old abandoned house or building (He was a crane operator for many years,and did a lot of work at building demolitions)

Marked on blade No 1005

The stag horn and bayonet are not US Military,but thought they were neat as well.

He USED these knives,and it shows.Nobody back then cared or knew that this junk would be worth saving,so no,they arent pristine.

Best part is,MY name and "1977" is written on the back of the Imperial scabbard..He told me when I was very young,he let me carry it around on our camping trips to use as boys do,making bows and arrows,carving trees,etc.

post-109734-0-85843700-1428803305.jpg

post-109734-0-81974900-1428803354.jpg

The bayonet looks like a US Krag; what markings are on the blade?

Unfortunately,its Swiss..

Marked "Maschinenfabrik Bern"

allow me to give you the VERY BEST advice I can give as a collector for over 70 years, Photograph the collection of knives owned and carried by your grandfather or aquired by him in the war and describe each one in complete detail on a document and have the history of his service and as much detail as you can write and have him sign it and have it NOTARIZED and have at least two originals kept with the knives, This alone will more than double their value and preserve the history for your children for the future, The balance of the knives that you received from him can be put on another form with his history as to how and when he aquired them and also NOTARIZED and that will add to future family knowledge and history and Value Also if you can add a copy of a photo of him in Uniform and any of his service related documents. Also you are just beginning. If he knows you care there could also be several more things such as his uniforms medals ect, SO Don't stop there. Put it all together as a collection and let him know you care and will keep it altogether for future generations of your family. If you do this you will all be WINNERS

Ron Norman

A neat little collection, and worth even more when it's from your own family. You're lucky and take good care of them for the future!

allow me to give you the VERY BEST advice I can give as a collector for over 70 years, Photograph the collection of knives owned and carried by your grandfather or aquired by him in the war and describe each one in complete detail on a document and have the history of his service and as much detail as you can write and have him sign it and have it NOTARIZED and have at least two originals kept with the knives, This alone will more than double their value and preserve the history for your children for the future, The balance of the knives that you received from him can be put on another form with his history as to how and when he aquired them and also NOTARIZED and that will add to future family knowledge and history and Value Also if you can add a copy of a photo of him in Uniform and any of his service related documents. Also you are just beginning. If he knows you care there could also be several more things such as his uniforms medals ect, SO Don't stop there. Put it all together as a collection and let him know you care and will keep it altogether for future generations of your family. If you do this you will all be WINNERS

Ron Norman

Thank you for the sound advice,Sir.

I already latched onto everything he can find-most of it I've had for 30 years aready.There may be more bits and pieces here and there though!

post-109734-0-06503800-1429125924.jpg

Patchcollector

Ron Norman

Another idea is to sit down and if he is willing, talk with him about his service and video your conversation(s).

The Library of Congress Veterans History Project also collects first-hand accounts of U.S. Veterans.

Here is a Youtube video explaining the Project:

Great knife collection!

• 1 month later...

This post made my day :)

I got started on knife collecting (again) when I found my dad's old knives in a drawer at my mom's house

The part I like most about knife colelcting is holding old knives and day dreaming about where the knife has been (used)...

Those Solingen knives must have been very popular in the 70's

They are all over EBAY

This is my father's

2077622854_3ea1fec136_z.jpgThe Old Man's Shank by Trenton Ulysses Rock, on Flickr

Thanks for sharing

I LOVE looking at grandpa knives....