A B-17 with five engines

svenfromsweden

Post WWII turbo-prop engine development program.

I think a total of three were modified by three different engine companies.

Liberty Belle was one of the aircraft that was once modified.

One of the test pilots from back in the day, that flew what became Liberty Belle,

rode with me once on a flight from Hartford to Bridgeport on the Belle.

He had some interesting stories to say the least...

John

If I am not mistaken, this particular aircraft was heavily damaged by a tornado at the Bradley Air Museum at Windsor Locks CT back in the early 1980's. When I saw it in 1991, it was still sitting with the aft fuselage torn off. Great to see it coming back to life!

-Ski

I share with you the link with photos for this curious and unusual version of the Flying Fortress, used to test the Wright XT-35 Typhoon engine. I hope you enjoy.

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2011/01/boeing-b-17-modificadas.html

Cheers.

Sven

Hi Sven. Great photos.

I see you're into simming as well; I caught your thread over at M4T. Kurfurst can be a little crusty, eh?

Was fortunate to actually see this aircraft in operation. The one and only time I was able to attend the Indianapolis 500 Time Trials was in 1955. You guessed it, the 5-engine B-17 over flew the Indianapolis Speedway several week end. For got to mention when it flew over, was only flying with one engine. Impressive sight.

If I am not mistaken, this particular aircraft was heavily damaged by a tornado at the Bradley Air Museum at Windsor Locks CT back in the early 1980's. When I saw it in 1991, it was still sitting with the aft fuselage torn off. Great to see it coming back to life!

-Ski

1979 but close enough. terrible thing to have happen. must have been a nightmare...

post-125364-0-60620500-1429045977.jpg