USAF in ww2 ?

usaaf93

Hello everyone.

Nothing to do today, so I decided to watch USAAF movies on youtube today. I was watching operation Titanic, a 1944 documentary when I noticed something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGKETOf1S-U

At 23.09, you see an airman writing a letter on the cockpit seat. On the back you can see the back seat. It is written US AIR FORCES not US ARMY AIR FORCES or US AIR CORPS as you could expect in 1944. The only USAF writtings I knew during ww2 were on the bailout canvas. Just wanted to share this.

post-106404-0-98713900-1428689110.png

doinworkinvans

Good catch - I have always wondered why this was done. I am not sure why sometimes you see just Air Forces...maybe there is a list somewhere?

The terms were just used interchangeably, that's all. Some documents might refer to numbered air forces as "Army Air Force", or AAF, While most would just say 8th Air Force or whatever number. A lot of AAF members refered to themselves as being in the "Air Force", when in actuality they would be in the Air Corps and all Air Corps personnel were assigned to the Army Air Force and that as often as not was just called 'Air Force'. Confusing, ain't it ?