Trying to identify this Screaming Eagle Patch...

Teebo

Try to find out more information about this patch. Era, Value, etc.

Just wanted to check to make sure what I was told was correct. I hope I did not over pay.

post-154916-0-45256900-1428615838.jpg

I can't remember. 101st Abn OG-107 were fairly common in thrift stores in the early 90s. White name tape and color US Army tape with mosquito wings PFC, most of the time. I sold them many years ago.

The group I saw this come from was all in world war 2. Interesting article but I did not see anything on the blue border.

The group I saw this come from was all in world war 2. Interesting article but I did not see anything on the blue border.

As stated in my link Quote:

Mark Bando's Trigger Time book (not the his website which is less comprehensive) has this one categorized as a Type 15, "Lumpy Head" Parrot Beak patch. He feels reasonable certain they are WWII vintage.
Mitch

Be careful with what you say... this is not a blue border, but only the badly trimmed blue cotton twill backing upon which the patch was embroidered. Compare with the patch I have and you'll see what I mean.

post-4811-0-70394200-1428689905.jpg

Both have a similar appearance (eye and beak). Only the tongue is very different. The one you posted is a bit narrower than it should be, and might be from laundering. Because it's so pale, this might be the cause.

I would not touch the patch. Just leave it like it was issued and worn/used. It's a piece of history with a shape that became this way... My opinion.

Hans

vintageproductions

I don't have a 101st handy but here is a unwashed special forces, 1960's era, with the same blue border. When they are used and laundered the blue edge looks just like the 101st in the first photo.

If the 101st at the start of this thread is WWII, you should all check my stock at shows because I sell them as 1960's, and have removed a ton of them from 1960's cotton fatigue shirts, all with the same blue border.

sfbl.jpg

Hi Bob,

I agree . I have seen both the 101st and the SF patches with the blue cut edge on 60's era uniforms and loose. I attached one picture from Eric on War relics sight that identified the 2 patches as Vietnam era. The one on the left has a blue edge. It also has a different eye. I sure would like to see the picture in Bando's book that identifies it as a type. I don't have it. And believe me I know nothing about WW2 101st patches.

Regards, Mitch

post-592-0-10031900-1428694632.jpg

vintageproductions

Mitch, I just don't buy into all the different "type" names. In my mind they are just different manufacturers, nothing else.

Mitch, I just don't buy into all the different "type" names. In my mind they are just different manufacturers, nothing else.

Bob, I have a hard enough time with the names of tigerstripes. 17 types of the 101st and variations of each . This old brain doesn't digest all that information anymore. I attached the one I have for sale here. I just want to identify it in my sale and price it accordingly. I posted it here in the other link and thought I was good. The lettering to the tab is a little different too.

Mitch

post-592-0-67419700-1428696442.jpg

Bob, I have a hard enough time with the names of tigerstripes. 17 types of the 101st and variations of each . This old brain doesn't digest all that information anymore. I attached the one I have for sale here. I just want to identify it in my sale and price it accordingly. I posted it here in the other link and thought I was good. The lettering to the tab is a little different too.

Mitch

Mitch, the one you posted is a type 15 'parrot beak' in Mr. Bando's book, and is very different from the one in post #1. The latter is very likely a type 3 (like mine) but with the tab cut off. The type 15 is a wartime piece.

I've put the three next to each other. Beak, feathers, eye of the left two show similarities as I said earlier.

Post war types of the 101st seem to have more detailed eyes. Like Ski said, the amoebe eye in the 60's seems also unlikely to me.

post-4811-0-89476200-1428697536.jpg

A type 15 'parrot beak'. This patch doesn't have an attached tab.

Bob is right saying that the types doesn't mean anything. It's just a system of cataloguing these patches. They are in fact made by different manufacturers (variations).

post-4811-0-54140500-1428698089.jpg

I will have to say this is a WWII vintáge 101st eagle, like the one posted above with the blue fill between the tab and shield. It's missing the tab, and is a sub variation of the type 3, because of the shape of the dome of the head. I would gladly give you $20 for the patch others classify as post war. Best Paul