Model 1910 haversack discussion. Please add...

TrenchRat

That's very helpful, and explains my collection more. I think the Olive Drab color you're referring to is coming across to my eyes as more khaki-which explains my initial confusion. How do you know the pattern on the right started in 1916? I have seen examples marked 1914 and had always been under the impression that the lighter color packs changed over to pea green around 1914.

That's very helpful, and explains my collection more. I think the Olive Drab color you're referring to is coming across to my eyes as more khaki-which explains my initial confusion. How do you know the pattern on the right started in 1916? I have seen examples marked 1914 and had always been under the impression that the lighter color packs changed over to pea green around 1914.

Sure, I can see that. I have a few 1910 dismounted belts that are a very strong shade of olive and some that are as light as my 1912-dated sack. Lots of color variation in these, certainly.

The use of Pea Green began in 1914 not 1916. From the information I have seen, and I believe generally accepted; khaki was used from 1903 to 1907, olive drab was used from 1907 thru 1914. Pea green came about in 1914 and was used up to 1916/ 1917. Of course thereafter khaki was used again until the 1920's when OD3 came about.

Naturally there are exceptions to the rule. I have a few 1910 cartridge belts with eagle snaps that are dated 1916 and are in khaki. I have many 1910 haversacks dated as late as 1918 that are in a strong pea green. I even have a 1916-dated 1910 canteen cover with lift the dot snaps which were not introduced until 1917.

There are so many variations to be seen when collecting AEF material for sure.

Hope this helps some,

TR

Very helpful. Ever able to do a Veracruz display? I’m thinking I might give it a shot. Hardest part is going to be finding an early green shelter half.

VolunteerArmoury

The ends of the straps that were sewn at the top of the body were squared off on later ones but rounded on earlier ones. My tan ones are rounded (Im meaning the part of the strap sewn were the shoulders are) but all of my green ones are squared off. Ive been told some green ones had rounded ends as well.

Thanks but I was referring to the first two packs listed on this thread. They are apparently different but I can't tell how. The strap ends are both square on these.

I thought you’re asking in general the differences. The straps earliest first pattern M1910 which is definite tan are rounded on the part that’s sewn to the body whereas each of my green ones have squared ends. Unfortunately or unfortunately the meat can button was replaced with a coat button & button hole.