Model 1910 haversack discussion. Please add...

TrenchRat

Accouterments to be used with the prior displayed packs. These are early pattern olive drab items

that have square tabs and flat buckles. Several have the metal tube that the hooks pass through,

thus dating them to around 1912.

A beautiful set of accouterments! :o

You know the pick carrier and those axe carriers are hard to find with the tube/hanger.

Any dates on them?

Pep

Marchville1918

Does anyone know what the purpose of the upper set of rings on the pack carrier was? These are the rings that line up with the lower strap not the ones on the tabs at the bottom.

Bonjour.

Still no answer borgne-idee.gif

solcarlus.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/183630-upper-suspension-rings-on-original-1910-pack-carrier/

Does anyone know what the purpose of the upper set of rings on the pack carrier was? These are the rings that line up with the lower strap not the ones on the tabs at the bottom.

Hey, guys:

I dug up a few photos that have been posted here on the forum in the past. These show a US Naval landing force

at Veracruz, Mexico (1914) with their 1st pat. 1910 haversacks.

TrenchRat: You may wish to acquire a set of working blues

and mix-up your display with a sailor wearing early gear.

US Vic,

Awesome idea about a naval display from the battle/occupation of Vera Cruz!

I admit, I am not that up on pre WWI naval jumpers, but I will look into that.

I have some spare and proper equipment for such a display.

Thanks for the suggestion...

Oh, the navy used Army belts and not Marine Corps belts, yes?

Here are my M1910 haversacks. No visible manufacturer markings on any of them.

The first is marked to the 116th Ammunition train which was a part of the 41st Infantry Division. Excuse the old photos of it. It is different from my other two packs or any of the ones seen here so far in that it has rounded straps where they attach to the rear of the pack body.

post-1749-0-29784900-1429556388.jpg

post-1749-0-59019200-1429556403.jpg

Speaking of USN using these things, here is one that (unfortunately) is not in my collection. I had the presence of mind to grab the photos from Ebay, however.

It appears to be from the USS Rhode Island (though this may be completely coincidental). At the least, this shows the eagle snap version of the meat can pouch.

post-97349-0-93539300-1429662010.jpg

post-97349-0-98196900-1429662017.jpg

Now for some that have actually been in my collection.

The haversack itself is dated 1914. Though I can't find dates on the pack tail, the colors are matched to the point where it's hard not to think that they have spent their lives together.

post-97349-0-11362900-1429662430.jpg

Bonjour.

There is no need to worry, it is in good hands icon_biggrin.gif

solcarlus.

Speaking of USN using these things, here is one that (unfortunately) is not in my collection.

Bonjour.

There is no need to worry, it is in good hands icon_biggrin.gif

solcarlus.

Excellent! That was a good score. You don't have any other early 1910 gear with USN markings, do you?

Excellent! That was a good score. You don't have any other early 1910 gear with USN markings, do you?

Wow...what a coincidence...!

Speaking of USN using these things, here is one that (unfortunately) is not in my collection. I had the presence of mind to grab the photos from Ebay, however.

It appears to be from the USS Rhode Island (though this may be completely coincidental). At the least, this shows the eagle snap version of the meat can pouch.

Doc,

Wow...what a coincidence...my grandfather served on the USS Rhode Island, 1915 - 1919...

Thanks for adding this (eagle snap closure), as it is such a rare find.

Now for some that have actually been in my collection.

The haversack itself is dated 1914. Though I can't find dates on the pack tail, the colors are matched to the point where it's hard not to think that they have spent their lives together.

Doc,

That is an awesome layout you have there. I really need to do the same thing...gather all the contents of these haversacks.

But that is a spectacular set...good for you...!!

TR

Todd

No, I do not have another USN equipment. I live in the area on the salient of St. Mihiel. Besides the CAC, and the USMC, sailors did not come.

Some remains of US Navy First Aid Boxes.

For the price of the bag, I was the first surprise. I like the cover to the eagle icon_biggrin.gif

Sol.

• 3 years later...

What are the physical differences between the first pattern and second pattern early packs? It looks to me like the RIA ones were khaki and the Mills ones were green. I can’t see any structural differences from 1910-1915 besides the meat can snap though. I am I missing something?

VolunteerArmoury

What are the physical differences between the first pattern and second pattern early packs? It looks to me like the RIA ones were khaki and the Mills ones were green. I cant see any structural differences from 1910-1915 besides the meat can snap though. I am I missing something?

The ends of the straps that were sewn at the top of the body were squared off on later ones but rounded on earlier ones. My tan ones are rounded (Im meaning the part of the strap sewn were the shoulders are) but all of my green ones are squared off. Ive been told some green ones had rounded ends as well.

The ends of the straps that were sewn at the top of the body were squared off on later ones but rounded on earlier ones. My tan ones are rounded (Im meaning the part of the strap sewn were the shoulders are) but all of my green ones are squared off. Ive been told some green ones had rounded ends as well.

Thanks but I was referring to the first two packs listed on this thread. They are apparently different but I can't tell how. The strap ends are both square on these.

Thanks but I was referring to the first two packs listed on this thread. They are apparently different but I can't tell how. The strap ends are both square on these.

Are you reffering to the first two packs shown in posts 1 thru 4?

Are you reffering to the first two packs shown in posts 1 thru 4?

Good day.

There are a few differences between the two haversacks shown in posts 1 thru 4. Of course both are the so-called first pattern.

The first pattern sack at first featured a meat can pouch fastened with an army eagle snap as mentioned in an earlier post. Sometime later, that first pattern meat can pouch used the typical metal stud-button that would be used through 1928. Both first pattern mean can pouches were fastened to the sack with leather laces thru corresponding eyelets on the sack cover and rear of the meat can pouch.

The first sack pictured in this thread, dated 1912, is all in one shade of olive drab, the color typical of web gear from 1907 thru 1914. The second sack pictured in this thread, dated 1916, is mostly in the new shade of Pea Green, (used from 1914 thru 1916), except for the taping on the shoulder straps and edges of the sack itself that remain olive.

In the images below can be seen one subtle difference between the first two sacks is this thread, and that is the lower strap connecting the shoulder strap to the belt. Here you can see that the earlier, 1912-dated sack strap features a vertical ribbed pattern, whereas the later 1916-dated sack does not.

Hope this explanation helps some...

TR

post-92682-0-62725400-1544800143.jpg

post-92682-0-11576600-1544800151.jpg